Jealousy Isn't Always Ugly

Start from the beginning

He scoffed. "I'm not the clueless one here Natalia."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"It means you're oblivious to everything around you! I honestly don't know how someone could be so clueless, but you seem to figure it out just fine!" He yelled.

"What are you talking about? You aren't making any sense, Andrew!" I inhaled deeply, trying to control my breathing.

"Woah, what's going on in here?" My dad asked as he and the other parents entered the kitchen.

"What's with all of the screaming?" Patricia asked.

Andrew and I were having a stare off, neither of us daring to break the eye contact. When we didn't reply my mom stepped in.

"Uh, well, okay kids! How about we have dinner now, yeah? Trish?" She said in a hinting tone.

"Right!" Patricia said quickly. "Um, does steak and mashed potatoes sound good to everyone?"

As our parents started moving around the kitchen Andrew and I broke eye contact and moved to opposite sides of the room.

Everyone silently helped set the table, the tension in the air was suffocating.

We set the table and sat down. I tried to calm down and focus on the presentation laid out before me. Where my mother lacked in cooking skills, Patricia thrived. The steaks were placed neatly on a plate in the middle of the table, the mashed potatoes were in a bowl next to them with mini bowls around them with shredded cheese and chives. She had also put together a big cesar salad.

"Well, Patty, you never disappoint. This looks amazing, doesn't it kids?" Matthew said, trying but failing to break the tension. We nodded silently.

They took that as a signal to begin and everyone filled their plates with food. Our parents stepped over mine and Andrew's moods and fell into a comfortable conversation. I'm pretty sure that they even forgot about the yelling match that they had walked into because they kept trying to include us in the conversation.

"So, Natty. How's school? Any cute guys?" Patricia asked suggestively.

I blushed and started to shake my head. My mom scoffed.

"Oh please Natty, you're beautiful. I'm sure there's a line of guys fighting for your attention. You are my daughter." My mom said.

I rolled my eyes and my dad spoke up.

"Yeah, what about that, uh, what was his name? Cole?"

"We're just friends dad." I told him honestly.

Cole and I hung out a lot, but only as friends. It never felt intamate and he treated me sort of as a little sister. Not that I was complaining.

"What about Trent." A bitter voice spoke from across the table.

I shot Andrew a dirty look and opened my mouth to reply before my mom cut me off.

"Oh! I loove Trent. He is so charming! You should date him Natty!" She said excitedly.

I was about to shoot down the idea when Patricia decided it was her turn to cut me off.

"Oh Drewy, you aren't still with that one girl are you?" She scrunched up her face in disgust.

Andrew blinked as if he hadn't been listening.

"Which one?" He said without emotion.

I flinched and stared down at my lap.

I slowly looked back up to see Patricia giving Andrew, who had guilt written across his face, a stern look.

"You know who I'm talking about Andrew, and stop with those comments. You know I hate them." She told im.