Return of the Beast

I collapsed onto my couch with a sigh. It was Sunday night and we were no closer to finding out who the prankster was than we were a week ago.

We had spent the remainder of the week investigating. Well, somewhat investigating. Andrew spent some time going around to Rebecca's friends, trying to get them to spill any information we had. Trent and Chase questioned the girls who were in the educational clubs, like the mathletes and the robotics club.

Meanwhile, I tried helping Robyn figure out how to get her test records back. We ended up getting her teachers to agree to let her re-take them. She had re-taken some of them already, but she still had a long way to go before she got her GPA back to where it was.

I couldn't understand why anyone would do this. Robyn was one of the nicest people I have ever met. It wasn't fair that she had to redo everything that she worked so hard for.

I wasn't sure when I fell asleep, but all too soon I was waking up on my couch with the sun shining in my eyes. It was Monday and I knew I needed to get up and get ready for school.

I sat up with a groan and tried to rub the sleep from my eyes. Normal people would make coffee, but I hated the stuff. It was a little too bitter for my taste.

I took a shower and dress in jeans and a plain black shirt. It looked cold outside, so I slipped on my converse and pulled a sweater over my head before making my way into the kitchen. I decided to skip breakfast when a car horn sounded outside.

I grabbed my backpack and walked out to where Andrew's car was stopped in my driveway. He had been driving me to school instead of Cole lately, who didn't seem to mind.

I waved at Cole as he walked out of his house and to his own car. He grinned and waved back at me while I got in and closed the door.

"Hello there, beautiful." Andrew leaned over and pressed his lips to mine.

My heart rate accelerated and my stomach fluttered.

I grinned as he pulled away. "Hi."

His warm chuckle filled the car as he began driving towards the school.

"Why are you laughing?" I asked.

I threw an amused glance my way. "Because you're adorable."

I didn't answer and we were quiet for the rest of the ride. We walked into the school together and I walked with Andrew to his locker.

I looked around the hallway as people walked past to their own destinations. A couple of freshman ran by and I stepped back quickly to avoid getting hit by them. I leaned against a locker.

Someone walking in our direction caught my eye. My eyes widened slightly when I saw Rebecca enter the hallway. She walked with an air of confidence in her skinny jeans and knitted sweater. Her long brown hair flowed behind her and I noticed that her eyebrows had, in fact, grown back.

Her brown eyes met my blue ones and she held my gaze as she got closer. I couldn't hide my surprise when she broke the eye contact and continued down the hallway without a word.

"Well that was unexpected." Andrew said from beside me.

I nodded. "Yeah it was."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

During first period I had told Robyn about Rebecca's return. She was as surprised as I was that nothing happened.

We didn't get much of a chance to talk about it though because class had started and we had endless notes to take.