23

You stayed awake for quite some time while your boyfriend's soft snores filled the room. He'd fallen asleep rather quickly while still clinging to you. Which was totally fine, you found it rather endearing that even after such an intimate act he felt the need to stay so close to you. It had you almost wondering if he'd ever done this before, a notion you quickly dismissed recalling his skill level.

There was no way this guy was a virgin.

You ran your fingers gently through his soft hair smiling unapologetically as he shifted and stirred at your touch. How was this tiger allowed to be so cute?

Then it hit you, such an overwhelming wave of guilt. Here you were enjoying a moment of bliss when your father just died and your brothers are all distressed. What kind of selfish monster are you?

"Go to sleep." Zoro murmured pulling you close.
"I didn't mean to wake you." you snuggled into him.
"What are you stressing over?" he nuzzeled against your temple.
"Nothing."

It was quiet for a few short moments, you assumed he had drifted back off to sleep until his lips gently pressed against your forehead.

"It's ok to be happy." he rose above you to look you in the eye.
You glanced away, "How do you always know what to say?"
The greenette lowered himself to rest his cheek against your bare chest and shrugged, "I know you feel guilty for things you shouldn't."

You only hummed.

It was true. You often made yourself feel terrible for things you had no control over.

Running fingers through his hair once more you sighed, "I'm very happy, thank you Tiger."
"And thank you," he yawned, "now...sleep."

_________________

It had been a few weeks since your father's passing. Things were beginning to feel more normal or as normal as they could you supposed.

You sat at the island in the kitchen with a cup of freshly brewed coffee while your oldest brother shuffled around in the fridge.

"Why are you up so early?" the brunette asked through a massive yawn.
"I was going to follow Marco to work today. It's been a while since I've been to the home office."
"I'm sure they'll be excited to see you." Thatch stood closing the door with his arms full of food, "Breakfast? Everyone seems to be getting their appetites back."
"Sounds good." you hummed sipping from your mug.

Thatch grinned at you before turning to unload the breakfast ingredients onto the counter.

"Morning, yoi." your blond brother entered with a yawn as his hand slipped up his shirt to lazily scratch his stomach.
"Yo." you muttered.
"What're you doing up?"
"Question of the morning." Thatch chuckled from the stove.
"I want to go to the office with you today." you watched him yawn again and take a seat across from you.
"Izo will be excited to see you, yoi."
"I'm excited to see Izo." you affirmed with a soft smile.
"So no boyfriend today?" Marco asked.
"He closed the bar last night so I stayed home." you traced the brim of your coffee cup thinking about the cute text exchange you'd had with Zoro before falling asleep.
"Valentine's day is soon, any big plans?" Thatch asked wiggling his brows.
"Not that I know of, but you guys know I'm not fussy. It doesn't really matter."
"She's got it bad, yoi." the blond teased.
"Seriously," Thatch confirmed, "you sure were fussy with Shanks."

You blushed remembering your late teens and early twenties when all you knew of romance was TV shows and magazines. The way you acted back then was a bit embarrassing, though Shanks never once complained.

"I was young and dumb what can I say?" You chuckled.
"Speaking of young and dumb, Ace-"

Before Thatch could finish his sentence your phone began to vibrate across the counter startling all three of you. Your brows pinched together in confusion at the name that flashed across the screen.

"Hello?"
"Is everything alright, F/N-ya?" Law's voice was incredibly smooth even first thing in the morning.
"Uh - yeah... I think so?" you answered still confused.
"I was just surprised to see Ace-ya here without the family."
"W-what?! Wait - where is Ace?" you stood.

Your brothers froze.

"You didn't know?" Law questioned softly rounding a corner into an empty room, "He's being admitted to the hospital. You should get down here."
"What happened? Why is he there? Is he ok?" your frantic tone had the boys flinching.
"If you don't already know, I'm unfortunately not allowed to say, though I don't know much." Law sighed pinching the bridge of his nose, "Just get down here quickly. And be careful."
"We're on our way, thanks."

You hung up and typed a quick text to your boyfriend while divulging what little information you had to your older brothers.

"You guys go. I'll get the boys." Thatch had already turned off the stove and was headed for the stairs to get Sabo and Luffy.

Not bothering to change from your pajamas you and Marco threw on your jackets and made your way out to the hospital.

When you arrived you were directed to the surgical floor where they were prepping your freckled baby for emergency surgery. Not having any information was eating you alive, even when you checked in, they wouldn't say what happened or why he was having surgery. It felt like you were choking on your heart.

Marco kept freakishly calm and quiet. He honestly didn't know what to say or do. He was terrified at the thought of losing your brother. Not knowing basic information allowed you both to jump to the worst conclusions.

As you stepped off the elevator you caught sight of Benn slouching out of his coat in the waiting area, having apparently just arrived himself. You had a terrible feeling. Bypassing the waiting room you checked in at the nurses station, where you were immediately handed paperwork and lead to a room where Ace was.

Law greeted you in the doorway to prepare you for what you were about to see.

"He's taken quite the beating. They had to work on getting him stable before we could get him ready for surgery, which I've nominated myself for." his steel orbs were locked on yours, "We'll be taking Ace-ya in for a craniotomy; it's a standard procedure to relieve pressure on the brain."
"On the brain?" you squeaked.
"You've done this before, right?" Marco asked.
Law nodded, "Plenty of times. All successful. There are risks that we will cover. I can't sugar coat this for you. But I can assure you that his stats are good and I will do my best."
"Do you know what happened?" you almost didn't want to know the answer.
"Apparently there was a fight and things got out of hand. His head was slammed into the ground a few times, which caused swelling. This procedure will help with that and then we can access if there will be any permanent damage."

You would never in all your life be prepared to see what you did when you entered that hospital room. The man in that bed was damn near unrecognizable. Both eyes swollen shut, busted lips and cheeks and nearly his entire precious face was bruised.

A rage you had never experienced bloomed in your chest as your eyes filled with tears. You knew exactly what happened. You knew why Benn was there.

Somehow you made it through the paperwork and presurgery orientation.

"I love you Freckles." you murmured kissing your brother's temple before they pushed his bed out of the room.
"He'll be ok, yoi." Marco muttered rubbing your back and gently pushing you toward the waiting room.

The moment you saw Benn you felt that anger begin to heat your body again.

"What the fuck happened?! Why didn't you call me immediately?!" you shoved him back as he stood.
"It was complicated," his large hands wrapped around your wrists, "the police had to get involved. I was going to call you when I was able to get here but then I saw you and assumed Shanks called first."
"Oh you're all here." your ex's care free voice chimmed as you ripped yourself away from Benn, "How is he?"

You were close enough to the doorway; once freeing yourself you spun on your heel and socked the redhead right in the face.

"F/N!" your brother and friend called as Shanks dropped to the floor.