Chapter Nine: Calathea, the Earth Guardian

Sylvara gave a sigh as the portal to the Fire Plane closed with a snap.

"Did everyone snap their trackers in place?"

The doors behind her throne opened, whole and unbroken, and Veronica walked out, followed by everyone else. "We got them on without to much trouble. I almost missed Alexander, but it worked out fine. June got it to him in time. Followed them halfway through the portal. I have no idea how she did it. She's definitely powerful, to go through a portal halfway and then turn around."

June giggled. "I wouldn't say powerful. I'm just difficult for magic to touch. Part of my nature, I suppose. Besides, y'all love me."

Natalie snorted derisively. "Well, I wouldn't say love. But you're definitely useful to have around."

June flipped her hair at Natalie with a wink.

Victoria chuckled, and looked to Sylvara. "What now?"

"Now we need to figure out what we do next. They have their mission, and now we have to help them from here. Both Natalie and I have contacts with people in the fire plane. They'll have help, if they truly need it. I think we need to gather information. What do we know about Justin's plans so far? We know he wants war. We know he's working for someone he calls "Master". He's intertwined in the problems in all the planes, and he needs to be stopped. Obviously, we need to go to all the other planes and find out what's going on, stop it if possible. Which means we have our priority."

June jumped up and clapped. "The Guardians!!"

Natalie facepalmed. "What is it with you and interrupting epic speeches?"

"That was epic?! Jeez, you people need lessons. Let's go find Calathea! She'll know where the others are. Oh, and we have three days. Give or take. Now, let's go!" June cheered and skipped out of the room. Everyone started after her, still unsure what to make of her. June's head popped back in. "Figure out what to make of me later, we have things to do!" She vanished again, and this time everyone followed her to Sylvara's map room, which the queen was a bit concerned that June found so easily. She thought about changing the layout of her castle, but she wasn't sure it would do much good. When June informed her that it wouldn't do much good, she decided to stop thinking about it and turned her attention to the task at hand. Finding Calathea,The Earth Guardian. Which shouldn't be too hard. Once everyone had gathered, a map inscribed upon thick, musty papyrus fell onto the massive table and spread itself out. The map was inked in various shades of green, and some of the lines were moving. This signaled that the map was enchanted in nature, and almost certainly the most accurate map of the Wind Plane. Sylvara waved a hand towards a smaller section of the map, a small forest a few miles past the mansion they had all escaped just recently. "This is where I encountered her. After she found out I had no wish to travel to her Plane, she and I talked for a while. She's quite wise and respectful, almost grandmotherly. I have no doubt she could easily smite us if she wished, but she seems like the least likely to do so. Perhaps that would be a good place to start."

Veronica nodded. She had changed from the ragged dress she'd been wearing into a more sensible jeans and t-shirt look. Her silvery hair was done up in a bun and pinned in place with a simple hairpin. The leather part of her sling was around her waist like a belt, and the wooden handle had lengthened into a staff. A pouch of ammo dangled from her left side. "Sounds as good a place as any. Are we to head out immediately or wait?"

Sylvara shook her head. "Only a small party can find her. She'll appear for no more then three people, and even then, she may not appear at all. Perhaps if we split up and roamed around for a bit in the forest. We're much more likely to find her that way."