Chapter 3

I awake to soft knocks at my door. "Dinna time." Effie says happily. I throw a pillow at my door. I hear a gasp from outside of it. "That is mahogany." she whispers. "What's up with you and doors?" I say still groggy from my nap. I hear foot steps. I think Effie went away. I get up and look at my dress. It's wrinkled. I then set the closet for an outfit of my taste.

I pick out a tye-dye shirt. My pants have all kinds of crazy designs and are very colorful. I then take my hair down and decide to put it in pigtails. I smile into the mirror. I think I look cuter than I did on reapin' day. I brush out my pigtails and go to the dining room. I skip down the hall. "NARWHALS NARWHALS SWIMMING IN THE OCEAN! CAUSING A COMMOTION!"

I get to the dining hall and everyone is there except me. I sit down next to Effie. "Oh, yeah, and whats up with you and doors or wood?" I ask. She purses her lips together and smiles. "I just like them, they interest me." I nod my head. "Ooh!" I say. "I like things too! Like, uhm, maces, pink, randomness, an old animal called a panda, and I forgot the last one." I pause for a second and think. "Oh yeah!" I say. "I like parties too!" 

I dig into the plate sitting in front of me. Mmm lamb chops. Gotta love baby lambs. Then, I eat the carrots on the side. I look up and Effie is scowling at me in disgust. I feel something tap me on the shoulder and I whack it. I look back and its an avox. He's offering me some wine. I nod my head yes but then, Effie tells him to just get me some apple juice. I give her 'the look.'. I really wanted some wine. It looked pretty. The avox comes back and pours me some apple juice in a cup just like everyone else. I take sips trying to mimic Effie. I look down at my food and eat bits of my potato. I see bread and I pick it up. I smell it. It doesn't smell like the bread I had at home.

Peeta sees me smelling my bread and he smiles. "Do you know what kind of bread that is?" he asks. He's a baker's boy, so he's obsessed with bread. I shake my head no. "Well," he says. "Each district has their own bread including the Capitol." I take a bite of my bread. It tastes good. Sweet, but then again salty. It has little nuts along the outside and it tastes a little like fruit too. Its brownish but the crusts are white. I find it odd. Usually my crusts are brown and the inside is white."This bread," he says picking his up and transferring it from hand to hand in his hands. "Is Capitol bread." he says. He looks down at it and whispers. "Decorated just like the Capitol is." he chuckles and smiles. I smile and finish my bread. "Its really good." I say with bread still in my mouth. Effie gives me a look of disgust and Peeta just laughs. Haymitch is too drunk to notice anyway.

I then pick at my wallo. Wallo is this fruit-like thing that tastes really good. Its like a mix between bananas,apples,and grapes. It tastes really good. It was made by the Capitol when they mixed those together into a seed to become wallo. The result was loved by almost everyone. It was a purple banana with white apple-like insides that tastes like all 3 fruits. I sip some more on my apple juice and then an avox takes the rest of my food.

Another avox comes in and hands me some cake. I look at it in disgust. It's chocolate and I really don't like chocolate cake. I'm about to ask for a different flavor when the avox goes back to the kitchen. I figure just leaving it would be wasteful so I take a bite. My mouth explodes in flavor. Peeta's enjoying his cake too. "You know," he says through a face full of cake. "We make cakes just as good in our bakery at home." he says as he takes another bite. He's not wrong. They do. But, I've never had their chocolate cake because I'd hate to eat chocolate cake after what happened at home.

My mother and I were trying to make a cake when I was little. Lets just say that cake, didn't turn out as well as we'd hoped. We had cake all over. I also tried some and it got me sick for 2 weeks. I wouldn't eat chocolate cake until now. I take another bite of my cake and it feels like rainbows are dancing on my tongue. It feels like narwhals are doing the Irish jig with my taste buds. I can't eat anymore though. I push my plate away and walk off. I hear Effie Trinket clear her throat like I was supposed to do something. "Oh sorry!" I say. I walk back over to the table and put my cake on her plate. "I'm sorry I didn't offer any to you!" I set my now empty plate down and walk away. When I'm about to my room I hear a faint sound of yelling. It sounds like Effie. I think she's ranting about doors again. I roll my eyes and walk back into my room.

I decide to take a shower. I really want to try the Capitol showers. I strip down my clothes and step into the shower. It scans my body and then the shower starts. I press a button and it shoots out a jet. The jet massages my back then I press another button. Mist. It sprays out a little bit of water but not enough. I put it on rain and it feels great. I stand there enjoying the water and then it gets cold so I turn up the heat. I finally decide its time to get out. "Off," I say. It air dries me and I walk naked to my closet. I program it for some pajamas. I put them on. They're pink with yellow cupcakes on them. They also have dancing teddy bears on them. I then put my hair up in a messy bun and walk out to the living room car.

I see Effie, Haymitch, and Peeta sitting in there. "What did I miss?" I ask looking at the blank TV screen. Peeta looks up. "Oh, we're just waiting for the reapings to come on." he says. Effie scowls at me and Haymitch grins. I nod and sit down. I hug my knee and watch the blank TV screen.

The screen suddenly pops on and you see District 1. A girl named Glimmer gets picked. She will be a Career. Anyone from District 1,2,or 4 is a Career. It means they trained for these games their whole life. Then, volunteer to win. They are confident they will win.  A boy named Marvel gets picked. Then they go to District 2. Another Career district. After a lot of volunteering the results are Clove and Cato.  District 3 somes and Delanie and Wenstone get picked. District 4 is Lieann and Relon. It goes on and on. I sigh. I pretty much zone out until District 12 comes. I hear Effie and my mind is back. I see me getting picked and then I see me being happy. My message to Katniss I feel bad about. Then I see me throwing Haymitch off the stage. I look over at Haymitch and he growls at me. I shrug my shoulders and smile. I look back at the TV and Effie calls Peeta's name. I look at Effie and she looks uncomfortable. She's probably mad over how bad her wig was shifted. I look at Peeta and for a minute he looked scared. I look back up at the TV screen and it shows us shaking hands, then, the screen fades to black. You'd think it was over but then you see the Capitol sign and hear the anthem. Now I know its over. The TV then shuts off with a click and Peeta and I are directed off to bed.

I get up and start to walk out of the room but then Peeta follows me. I look back and keep walking. When I'm about to my room I realize he's still following me. "WHY ARE YOU FOLLOWING ME BITCH?!" I ask him and I turn around and slap him. "STALKER!" I slap him again. He rubs his face and clenches his fists. "I wasn't following you." he points to a door. "That room is mine." he says. "Oh," I say. "Then, I take my slaps back." I slap him twice to take it back and he rubs his face some more. He's just about to swing his fist at me when I duck. I go back up and run away off to my door. I lock the door behind me. Safely inside my room.