~7~Father Figures and School Dances ~<3~

"He became a father-figure to me. He was a big part of my life." - Dave Fleming

(Sep 30) Our school dance was coming up, and I couldn't wait. I keep thinking about how the dance would be like if Mom was alive. How she would help me pick my dress and my shoes. It makes my heart ache. I knew my dad was going to be out of the house because he had a work party. Farkle and I've made up, but he still worries about me. Topanga gives me worried glances. Even Lucas, who was there when my mom died, checks up on me occasionally. I still don't want anyone to know. I have to admit that I envy the girls my age who are best friends with their dad. Who have their father to lean on. It's just hard. But honestly, all of this past week has been hard. And I have a feeling something might happen.

(Song- My Blood ~ TØP)

~<3~

It was another normal day at John Quincy Adams middle school. By normal I mean that Riley, Maya, and I were staring at a ninth-grader.

"Look at that ninth-grade woman! She's putting on makeup. We're going to be ninth-grade women someday!" Riley exclaimed. Maya dropped her jaw.

"This thing goes to ninth grade?" That comment from Maya caused me to laugh.

Riley pointed at the girl, who was using makeup. "Why that?"

"Brings out your eyes." We said in unison.

"Why would I wanna take out my eyes?"

"She's not taking out her eyes," Maya said as I rolled my eyes.

We watched as the girl took out an eyelash curler. "And I think she is." Riley pointed to her.

"It's an eyelash curler. It doesn't even hurt." The girl said, holding it out. Riley took the curler, examining it.

"I have eyelashes."

"Watch this." We told the girl.

Riley clamped it on her lashes, "Ahhhhh!" She screamed continuously.

"Anybody else would stop," Maya remarked.

"But not you." I finished, rolling my eyes.

Riley did it again. "Ahhhhh!"

"Open it." Mr. Matthews said, walking past us

She opened it. "Thanks, Daddy."

"Yeah, okay."

"Yeah, okay." She mimicked, handing it back to the girl.

"Ladies." We heard.

We turned around. "Farkle."

"School dance. I'm gonna put you three down for Dance Numbers one through all of them. We will alternate. You and me, me and you, you and me. When you're not dancing with me, you may not dance with anyone else. So you may sit and wait until you dance with me again."

Maya stared at him. "Yeah, none of this is happening."

"Well, may I have one dance with each of you?" He asked hopefully.

"Sure." We replied. I didn't see why not. One dance couldn't hurt.

"Ha! That's all I wanted. You just got played by Farkle." He told us before walking away.

"Never a dull moment," I remarked.

"Hey, guys!" Lucas said walking up to us.

"Another person..." I groaned, "That's the third one already..."