44: Blood Relations

Start from the beginning

Kendra didn't have much time left. I watched as Kendra closed her eyes, walking very close to me, and tried to concentrate hard on what she was feeling.

The more she did, the more intense I felt them swirl around her, too. I wondered if my interference would help, speed things up maybe, but I decided that it might influence the bond itself and I had done enough of that already.

She needed to do this on her own. And she was more than capable.

I trusted Kendra with my life.

Out of nowhere, I felt a pang of worry that came from Kendra but didn't quite feel like hers.

Was that...? Could that have been Dante? Through Kendra?

Kendra opened her eyes, looked at me and blinked. That must have been a yes. It had been Dante! Which meant that he'd felt her emotions.

Relief flooded through me. Now it was only a question of time. We needed to stall the grey wolf. We needed to stall him long enough for Dante and his brothers to figure out where we were. I only hoped that the bond they shared was developed far enough for him to sense Kendra's presence. The closer he got, the better he'd feel her.

"Where do you think you're going?" A familiar voice said. My heart stopped and lurched out of my chest. I let out a strangled bark.

How had he gotten here so fast?

Dante stepped out from behind a tree, directly in front of Jaxxon's father. He threw me a questioning look, probably weirded out by the bark I'd let slip. Then he steered his attention to the Protector.

The guy had appeared out of nowhere! How was that even possible? Not a sound, not anything. Had he already been here?

Before I could finish analysing the situation, Jaxxon attacked Dante without a moment's hesitation. He tore his mouth open and attempted to sink his canines into Dante's leg, but Dante reacted quickly enough. 

There was barely time for my brain to follow what was happeningthat's how fast they werebut I saw Dante step to the side, closer to Kendra, and slide his leg on the ground to the wolf and knocked his front legs out from under him. 

The grey wolf lost balance and fell to the side with his head first. Kendra ran, leaving me dumbfounded, and jumped onto Protector Thorne. She sank her teeth into his neck just as he was about to get up.

He whimpered but that only served as a distractionKendra must have loosened her hold, for he turned his head and upper body, managed to throw her off and scratched her with his claws. Dante reacted quickly by trying to grab Thorne, but got bit by the wolf instead. His teeth cut into his flesh like butter.

 Blood gushed out of the wound almost instantly. I frowned when I saw that the blood wasn't red.

And finally, as if I'd been in a trance, I stepped in and ran towards them. Kendra circled Thorn while I started to growl, intending to catch the wolf's attention. Dante used his other hand, balled it to a fist and punched Thorn directly into the face. 

Kendra, behind him, was almost pushed to the side when Thorn fell backwards. She manoeuvred out of the way and I took that moment to sink my claws into his exposed left hip. 

Kendra did the same with his left shoulder.

We had him completely pinned down.

But sinking my claws into his flesh didn't even cause a reaction. He barely twitched.

He's unconscious, Kendra said in the same moment I thought it. Nodding, I looked over to Dante, who's arm wasn't lined with a single scratch. His clothes were soaked with blood.

Blue blood.

ermmmm.... well.... technically.. this is... 

THE END.