Chapter 25 - Sam

We drove back home after some sight seeing which Pierre insisted, saying it might help my memory come back.

To say I was annoyed was an understatement. I had planned to do this with Jesse, not my so called fiancé and my mother.

"If you frown any longer, your face will permanently stay that way." My mother whispered so Pierre wouldn't hear. He was to busy looking out the window and rambling on about the Arc de Triumphe to even notice.

"You knew I wanted to do this with Jesse." I snapped.

"And now you're doing it with us. Get over it." She snapped back. I sighed, uncrossing my arms and instead crossed my legs.

"Get that boy out of your mind Clementine. I mean it." She looked at me and I looked at Pierre who was tapping away on his phone now.

"Say, do you still like red velvet macaroons?" He suddenly asked. I nodded my head even though I hated red velvet anything.

"Perfect. We'll stop by to get some before we go our separate ways for the evening." He smiled at me.

"So soon?" I asked smiling back. I knew playing the part would make my mother happy which meant she would get off my ass a little at least.

"I have to make an appearance at my mothers charity auction." He rolled his eyes. I nodded and tried to look anything but relived. He kept going on about the event but I had tuned him out, focusing on his face instead.

He was still young, only a couple more years older than I was I assumed. I had to admit, he was very good looking but not better looking than Jesse. I was probably being biased but I didn't care. He started frowning and I heard my mother telling him to cheer up. He must have been complaining about the charity event. He had a point though. I'm sure he had better things to do than fake smiles and force conversations with older people he didn't know or care about.

My mothers phone rang and she picked up, giving me and Pierre a few moments to speak without her listening.

"You could always come with me." He playful touched my leg with his. I laughed, shaking my head. He looked a little sad for a moment as he looked out the window.

"We would always sneak away from the events our parents hosted, do you remember?" He asked. I shook my head again.

"They're so boring. You hated them much more than I did though, always finding new ways to entertain yourself." He laughed. This time I smiled a real smile and tried to imagine what kind of stunts I would pull.

I probably would have put a frog in someone's bowl. I did that to Jesse once and he surprisingly didn't freak out. He was just upset he couldn't finish eating the soup and I felt bad enough to make him a new one.

The thought of Jesse suddenly made my smile disappear and I returned to the depressed mood I was in this from this morning.

"We had a lot of fun back then. Just wait until you get settled in better. I'll help you gain your memory back in no time." He said lowly and I got the feeling he wasn't talking about driving around or going sightseeing this time.

"That was your mother Pierre." My mother said putting her phone back on her purse.

"Is she making sure that I won't run off with Clementine again." He smiled charmingly and my mother laughed.

"No actually. She was asking if Clementine would like to join you as your plus one." She glanced at me and I felt him turn to look at me too. I tried to think of something to say when my own phone began to ring.