Chapter 12 - Sam

I stood there with my back to him as I scrubbed the dishes harder than necessary.

I was so scared. I was worried sick actually, wondering whether or not he was okay. He just stormed out of the room so angry and seemed so hurt about his mother and I was so worried he would do something reckless.

"Sam..." He softly called my name.

I stayed with my back to him and shook my head.

Why was I worried though? He was nothing but my roommate. He was my friend not my husband. He wasn't even my boyfriend, why should I care so much about where he was or how late he stayed out? He could take care of himself.

But then why did I spend half the evening worried out of my mind? I had braided and unbraided my hair for hours while pacing all around the living room and scrubbed all the dishes twice just to get my mind off of him but it was no use. He didn't even text or call! Yeah, I didn't do it first because of my damn pride but still! I stayed sniffling for the rest of the day worried sick and wondering if he was okay.

"Sam i'm really sorry." I heard him say from behind me.

I stayed quiet for a while trying to fight back tears of frustration when I heard him sigh in defeat.

"It's fine." I mumbled.

"Sam-" he started but I cut him off.

"I said it was fine."

I heard him suck in a breath and stay quiet as an uncomfortable silence fell over us.

I slowly started to wash my hands for about the fifth time, letting the warm water run between my fingers. I eyed the soapy pink trail that was swirling into a whirlpool at the center of the sink as I softly spoke.

"I'm sorry for what I said earlier. That was really mean." I mumbled slightly embarrassed.

"No Sam, don't be sorry-"

"No! I have never said anything so hurtful to anyone in my entire life and I have been feeling awful the minute it came out and when I saw you leaving...." I rushed out and bit my bottom lip to stop its trembling.

"Hey, it's okay." He assured, opening his arms for a hug which I quickly fell into. I couldn't stop the tears of shame and relief I felt as they started to soak up Jesse's shirt.

"I'm sorry." I whispered.

"Me too." I heard him mutter into my hair before rubbing my back. I pulled away slightly to ask him something and he brushed a sticky strand of hair away from my facet when I noticed his hands.

"Oh my God Jesse, what happened?" I asked horrified. I was right, he had gotten himself hurt.

"Did you get into a fight?" I asked swallowing hard as I unwrapped the bandages to find his knuckles all bruised and torn up.

"No." he hoarsely whispered.

I bit my bottom lip and frowned as I looked up at him. He sighed before explaining.

"I was boxing with a punching bag. It's filled with sand and we use it to practice with but I kinda got carried away...." He trailed off quietly.

I sighed as I forced him to sit in a chair and got the first aid kit, cleaning the blood off of his hands, a feeling of déjà vu hitting me as I did so.

"Sam i'm fine, really." he sighed and tried to make me let go of his hands.

"No you're not! Hold still." I demanded, frowning at him. He tried to hide the amused smile on his face and silently stopped struggling against my hold, obeying as his gaze never left my face.