Chapter 16 - Sam

I watched him sleep after waking up unusually early for once.

There were rays of light coming through the curtains, giving the room a soft glow, the dust sparkling in the sunlight making the it look even more magical. I glanced at Jesse, tracing the tiny moles on his jaw with my mind.

He was so handsome.

I sighed looking at the time and tried to pry myself out of his arms, silently hoping I wouldn't make an idiot of myself like last time.

"Sam, it's too early to be up." Jesse sleepily scolded, pulling me back to bed.

"It's 7:15."

He didn't reply but frowned at me with his eyes still closed.

"Go back to sleep." He finally muttered flipping onto his stomach and hiding his arms under the pillow.

I almost regretted saying anything and wished he would put his arms back around me, suddenly feeling cold. I continued to watch him.

I didn't mean to be a creep.

There was just something about how vulnerable and innocent he looked when he was asleep. Almost childlike.  It was something I found myself doing whenever I got the chance.

His back was sprinkled with even more little dots and I traced them with my finger this time trying to connect them.

"That tickles." I heard him say, his voice muffled by the pillow.

I smiled and continued to trace his back, secretly enjoying being able to touch him. I spread my hands across his shoulder blades and felt his muscle twitch as I did so. Biting my lip, I pulled my hand away the same time he pulled his head from under the pillow to look back his shoulder at me. I suddenly felt nervous. Should I say something? What could I say?

"Are you having trouble sleeping?" He asked. My stomach twisted into knots at the sound of his morning voice.

"No." I lamely replied.

He blinked and looked at the alarm clock by my bedside before flipping onto his back and rubbed his eyes.

"Sorry, did I wake you?" I apologized.

Of course you did.

"It's okay. I couldn't go back to sleep anyways." He replied and ran his hands through his hair before setting them on his stomach.

"What?" I smiled when he continued to look at me.

"Do that again."

"Do what again?" I asked.

Touch me

"That twitchy thing you do with your nose. It's funny." He lazily grinned. I rolled my eyes at him and he sighed.

"What you were doing to my back...it felt nice." He said and flipped back onto his stomach. Chuckling, I began to trace his little moles and freckles with my index finger and let my imagination wander, trying to think of the different constellations I could make.

I felt his body relax under my touch and glanced over to see if he was sleeping but his eyes were wide open.

"What are you thinking about?" I asked quietly, tracing designs on his back with my fingers. He didn't say anything at first and I assumed he hadn't heard me until he quietly replied.

"My mom."

I felt my fingers hesitate but he had pulled himself up now and my hand skimmed his ribs. I was too distracted by the lump I had felt on his side to blush from touching his abs.