Become a Ghost, Chapter Eleven

Another week, another pub crawl, and this time, Rukia was available to accompany them. Rangiku felt she could now, after a few months of her specialized tutelage, trust Orihime to dress herself in an alluring manner, so Orihime didn't have to trek over to Tenth Division so her friend could primp and prod her into attractiveness.

Orihime decided on a blue skirt with black polka dots and a cute, kind of low-cut black top with a tiny satin bow between the boobs, paired with steep black wedges featuring the most adorable ankle straps. She thought maybe she'd neglected paying attention to fashion for too long, and cursed that she'd spark an interest in it after dying and ending up in a place that was consistently 200 years out-of-style.

The horde announced their arrival with a vehement assault on the gong at the front gate. Dimly in the distance could be heard various hootings and hollerings that the two woman were to present themselves forthwith.

"We should hurry," Rukia said as they made their way up the long hallway, "before they get so rowdy Nii-sama is irritated.'

"Thank you," he said from behind them, making them gasp. Orihime saw that teensy little smile he got at sneaking up on people and decided to tease him back.

"You should come with us, Byakuya-sama!" she exclaimed. "It would be so fun!"

Both Byakuya and Rukia peered at her doubtfully.

"Thank you, no," Byakuya said at last.

Orihime had to bite her lip to keep from laughing. "If you change your mind, we'll be somewhere in East Rukongai."

"Hn," was his reply as he ventured back down the hallway, but she could hear the amusement in it.

Once Rukia and Orihime had been led away by the noisy throng, Byakuya settled in to what he'd anticipated would be a peaceful evening of answering letters and, time permitting, a bit of calligraphy. After an hour, however, he found himself unsettled and distracted, and realized he was bored. The room seemed... empty, somehow. Dimmer, as if only half the usual lights were on.

Thus he was relieved when in the distance he heard the gong soundat the outer gate (though with far more restraint than the others before), signaling the approach of a visitor. Byakuya put away his brush and inkstone and made himself ready to entertain.

"I'm sorry to intrude upon you, Kuchiki-taichou," said Outoribashi Roujirou, also known as the Vaizard Rose, when a servant led him in.

"Outoribashi-taichou," he acknowledged, gesturing for him to be seated.

Rose bowed, then knelt formally before his peer. "May I speak with your honored guest, Inoue Orihime-sensei?"

Byakuya's eyebrow lifted. This was unexpected. "I regret to tell you that Inoue-san is not here at the moment."

"I am sorry to hear that; it is a matter of some urgency, I'm afraid. Can you tell me where she went? I will go to find her."

"She went on what Matsumoto-fukutaichou termed a 'pub crawl' with a number of other lieutenants and officers," Byakuya replied. "They could be in one of any number of bars in Rukongai." He frowned in concentration. "Though I do recall someone mentioning they were heading to East Rukongai tonight."

Rose got to his feet. "That gives me a direction to start in, at least," he said heavily. "Thank you for your time, I apologize for disturbing your evening."

"Not at all," demurred Byakuya, secretly pleased to be rescued from what otherwise would have been a terminally dull night. "I will help you search for her."

Rose looked surprised, and Byakuya wondered if his reputation for being emotionless was so bad that people did not expect him to offer his help in a crisis.