Chapter 30: Morning After

Later that morning, Kazimir and Emmett sat outside the gang's hideout, smoking cigarettes. Kazimir admired the chromosome colors of the sky. The area was deserted except for a sleek black cat that came over to them. The fat furball popped out from an alley across the street, searching for food. It surprised Kazimir when it came up to Emmett and purred against his leg. He thought strays hated people.

"Where did you come from, little guy?" Emmett scooped the cat up in his arms. "I think I got some turkey in the fridge."

"Are you crazy? Don't feed it," Kazimir told him. "It'll never leave if you do."

"I can't just do nothing. Poor thing's starving. I'll be right back." He shoved the cat in Kazimir's arms and hurried back inside the old auto shop.

Kazimir stroked his fingers through the cat's fur as it purred in contempt and pawed at his denim jeans. Maybe it belonged to someone in the neighborhood? It surprised Kazimir how it wasn't aggressive. His old neighbor back home had a cat who hated him. It used to cross onto their property and scratch at his ankles when he stepped outside.

Emmett returned with a pack of turkey and a dish of water. The black cat lapped the food right up before curling back up in the gangster's lap. "What should I name him?"

"You're keeping it?" Kazimir asked.

"How could I not?" Emmett pet the fluffy black cat's head. "He's an official member of the gang now. You can have the honors of naming him."

Kazimir shrugged. "I don't know. Call him Boots. You know, because of his white paws."

Emmett scrunched his nose, shaking his head. "I take back what I said. You don't get the honors of naming him."

"Come on, what's wrong with the name Boots?"

"I'll call him Phantom." Emmett grinned.

Kazimir folded his arms over his chest. "Seriously? That's worse than Boots."

"No, it's not." Emmett rose from the sidewalk, cradling the fluffy cat in his arms. "We'll need to make him a cat bed. He can stay in my room here."

"You better buy him a litter box then. Cause if he pees in the bed, I'll throw him in Fatlard's room."

"Excellent idea. I'll have my sister go buy one." Emmett pulled out his phone and sent her a text. "Come on. Let's bring him inside and show everyone else."

Kazimir stood up, brushing fur off his clothes as he followed Emmett inside their hideout. He brought the fluffy black cat into the gang's lounging area, where Alfie, Rylee, Mal, and Charlie gathered. Emmett placed Phantom on the coffee table in front of them.

"Why's there a cat in here?" Charlie pointed to Phantom.

"Aww, so cute." Rylee leaned forward to pet him. "We should make an Instagram page for him. What's his name?"

"Phantom," Emmett replied.

Alfie sighed. "You gotta stop bringing in all these strays."

While the gang members had fun with their newest addition to the gang, Kazimir went to fix himself a turkey sandwich for lunch in the kitchen. The artist couldn't help but grin as he looked back at them. Even Alfie warmed up to the fat furball, who curled up in his lap on the couch.

"Yo, Kaz!" Charlie called out.

"What is it?" Kazimir closed the fridge after fixing his sandwich.

"Get in here! Your mom's on TV!"

Kazimir swore he misheard him. He hurried back into the lounge room with his sandwich, where the rebels gathered on the sofas with Phantom. The plasma screen showed the news reporter, Milada Van and right beside her, Kazimir's mother sniffled. Juliette Vassilieva's name flashed at the bottom screen.