12《 Jake

(A/N: Just to let you know "Y/D/N" stands for "your daughters name". Anyway, I hope you enjoy this chapter!)

It had been three days since the corden had been put in place. Three days since Atlanta had first erupted into chaos. Three days since Jake had last seen his loved ones.

Jake had seen countless bodies on the streets and plenty more coming through the hospital doors. He'd been assigned the task of respectfully dealing with the bodies of those who had lost their lives to the dreadful virus.

He managed quite well with the task as he was both physically and mentally strong. However, today seemed to be harder than the rest.

Jake was busy organising personal belongings into a bag when Doctor Cannerts wheeled in another deceased paitent before leaving again. The amount of lives lost was growing vastly.

Jake carefully uncovered the body before him to find a young girl and he suddenly felt an overwhelming surge of sadness and pain.
He noticed a teddy placed beside her and he picked it up, examining it before sliding to the floor. It was only seconds before he broke into tears.

He hated that this was all happening

He hated that this was all happening. He hated that people were losing their lives and nothing could be done to prevent it. He hated seeing someone so young and that had their whole life ahead of them, laid lifeless. The thought that crossed his mind the most was that the girl laid there could easily have been Y/D/N. She only seemed a few years older than his own daughter and that thought scared him. He wouldn't be able to cope if he lost her. She was his world as was his wife.

♢▪♢▪♢▪♢▪♢▪♢▪♢▪♢

After a couple of hours, he had finally managed to finish for the day and hurriedly went to clean himself up. Once he'd done so, he headed to the old waiting room where he'd been staying with others who's homes were outside the corden. The room was filled with chatter as the children played together and Katie, the teacher, watched.

Jake sighed, worn out from the challenging day. This drew Katie's attention and she headed over to him.

"Any changes to report?" she asked, a hopeful smile on her face.

"No. How's everyone doing here?" He replied.

"We're as good as we can be considering. A lot of them are wanting to go home. Doctor Cannnerts, I think his name was, said we can leave the hospital tomorrow. So that's good I suppose. "

"Have you got somewhere to go?" Jake asked.

"My house is on the other side and I couldn't leave the children anyway. There's a few that live on the other side too. How about you? Have you got somewhere to go?"

"My house is outside the corden so this will be my home for now."

Katie nodded in response and glanced around, catching sight of Jake's phone. "Oh, I just remembered. Your phone was ringing a couple times earlier while you were busy."