Blink

Waking up in the Doctor’s arms was literally my favourite thing in the universe. I always felt safe with him but after the War- after I became human- I never truly felt that safety and now that I had it, I refused to feel that way again. This incarnation, I noticed, was a lot stronger than my previous ones. During the War, AFTER Rassilon had broken me, I had shut down; became nothing but a mindless soldier. It was how I coped with being their bitch, for a back of a better term. The nightmares still plagued me but I had begun to get past them… more so pushing it away and locking it in a large chest in the back of my mind. This incarnation was stronger in the mental sense. There were times where I doubted myself, the relationship the Doctor and I had, even if I should worry about Martha but it wasn’t something that continued to fester and prod at me like it used to. I was more confident, happier. While I knew I wasn’t fully healed, I knew that I on the mend, that I was strong and that I was worth something; my mixed blood only made me even more special, and to continue fretting about it would be like a slap in the face to my parents who fought so hard to be together, just as  the Doctor and I did.

Smiling, I curled into the Doctor and tickle him awake. I was met with protest, the man releasing his hold on me and turning over to escape my assault. It did nothing but bring it on more, although when I saw he was beginning to wake up, I forced him to his back and straddled his waist. Lowering my head, I kissed him soundly, fully bringing my husband to consciousness. As I pulled away, his arms snaked around my middle, keeping me atop him and deepening the kiss. Smiling into it, I pulled away. “That’s one way to wake me.” I chuckled and rolled out of his arms and off the bed. When he hadn’t moved, I grabbed his arm and began to pull him out. Taking my silent instruction, I led him to the bathroom for a shower.

Martha, the Doctor, and I quickly exited the taxi, breaking into a run as we tried to get to the scene of the hatching.  Martha carried a quiver of arrows and the Doctor, a long bow. I ran behind them, keeping an eye out for anything odd, not that the sight of us  rushing out of the cab with those items wasn’t; I meant odd as in what we were looking for. As we passed a DVD store, a young blonde woman ran out of it. “Doctor! Rys!”

I stopped, turning to her. The Doctor did as well. “Sorry. Bit of a rush. There’s a sort of thing happening. Fairly important we stop it.”

“My God, it's you. It really is you. Oh, you don't remember me, do you?”

Martha walked over, gently grabbing my arm. “Doctor, Rys, we haven’t got time for this. Migration’s started.”

“Look, sorry. I've got a bit of a… complex life. Things don't always happen to me in quite the right order. Gets a bit confusing at times, especially at weddings. I'm rubbish at weddings, especially my own.”

“Yeah. He was a day late. Lucky I married him, this one.”

“And I’m so glad you did,” he smiled, kissing the top of my head.

“Oh, my God, of course. You're time travellers.” I cocked my head to the side, pondering how she could have known that. I remained silent though, hoping to figure out how she knew. “It hasn't happened to you yet, none of it. It's still in your future.”

“What hasn’t happened?”

“Don’t answer him. We shouldn’t know.”

“Rys, please. Twenty minutes to red hatching.”

“It was me. Oh, for God's sake, it was me all along. You got it all from me.”

“Got what?”

“Okay. Listen. One day you're going to get stuck in 1969. Make sure you've got this with you. You're going to need it.” She handed a file to me.