Nothing but a Broken Heart

When we found Rose and Mickey, they were looking through the two way mirror, staring at a man as he primped himself. "Blimey, look at this guy. Who does he think he is?"

"The King of France."

"Oh, here's trouble. What have you been up to?" Rose asked, her question aimed at me, a sly smirk on her lips. I rolled my eyes and looked away, silently seething. While I often confided in Rose, the feeling I currently had was one I wanted to keep to myself. While I knew it would have been better in the long run, I didn't want anyone, including her, to know what happened or how I felt.

"Oh, this and that," the Doctor replied. "Became the imaginary friends of a future French aristocrat, picked a fight with a clockwork man." The horse neighed, standing in the doorway. "Oh, and we met a horse."

"What's a horse doing on a spaceship?"

"Mickey, what's pre-Revolutionary France doing on a spaceship? Get a little perspective. See these? They're all over the place. On every deck. Gateways to history. But not just any old history." We watched as Reinette entered the room and curtsied to the King. "Hers. Time windows deliberately arranged along the life of one particular woman. A spaceship from the fifty first century stalking a woman from the eighteenth. Why?"

"Who is she?"

The Doctor looked at me to answer but I shrugged. He furrowed his brows but answered Rose's question. "Jeanne-Antoinette Poisson, known to her friends as Reinette. One of the most accomplished women who ever lived."

"So has she got plans of being the Queen, then?"

"No, he's already got a Queen. She's got plans of being his mistress."

"Oh, I get it. Camilla," Rose and Mickey laughed.

"I think this is the night they met. The night of the Yew Tree ball. In no time at flat, she'll get herself established as his official mistress, with her own rooms at the palace. Even her own title. Madame de Pompadour." The King and his servants left and Reinette went to preen in the mirror.

"The Queen must have loved her," Rose muttered, gently nudging me. I glanced at her before I walked away and leaned against the wall.

"Oh, she did. They get on very well."

"The King's wife and the King's girlfriend?" Mickey asked.

The Doctor turned to Mickey and shrugged his shoulders. "France. It's a different planet."

I ignored them and watched the woman on the other side. Behind her, I noticed someone in the far corner and immediately felt as if the woman wasn't supposed to be there. As angry and hurt as I was, there was something after her and she needed help, whether or not it ended with me losing the Doctor. I watched as she turned, acknowledging the person in the corner of the room. "How long have you been standing there? Show yourself!" It turned, revealing itself to be a clockwork android. I watched as the Doctor grabbed the fire extinguisher from Mickey and opened the mirror door, the three walking in, leaving me on the ship. I couldn't help but feel as if in any life threatening situation, the Doctor wouldn't instantaneously rush into action. As the thought hit me, I held back a sob and wiped away a stray tear. I refused to show any weakness in regard to the situation. Shaking my head, I returned my attention to the mirror and watched the four.

"Hello, Reinette. Hasn't time flown?"

"Fireplace man!" The Doctor sprayed the android and threw the extinguisher back to Mickey. The android began to creak.

"What's it doing?" Mickey questioned.

"Switching back on. Melting the ice."

"And then what?"