diego | "i do give a shit"

hello!! so some of the imagines i write will be accompanied with a gif that goes with the imagine. i hope you guys enjoy that and if you do have any gifs you'd like to see written out just leave them in the comments on the first page (titled "~")  and i'll get to them when i can. 

enjoy !

"its not your problem diego," shouted a voice from the kitchen of the small downtown apartment, followed by a series of broken glass shattering on the floor and another shout of annoyance from the first voice

"you need to let me help you (y/n)," urged a deeper voice. 

this, unfortunately, was the nightly scenario in (y/n) and deigo's shared apartment in the last week. they went from being tied at the hip and never getting into even the smallest fights to practically throwing plates at each other's heads over the smallest things. tonight their argument started with (y/n) accidentally cutting themselves while trying to get dinner started and then refusing to let diego help them clean up the mess and get a bandaid for them. 

it all went downhill when diego disappeared for 3  days straight without a note or message, leaving (y/n) worried sick as to where their roommate was. as soon as deigo returned he apologized profusely to them but (y/n) didn't want to hear it. they were hurt that diego acted like they didn't even matter to him. he knew how worried they get whenever deigo was out saving lives even just for a couple of hours, yet there he was leaving without a trace for 3 days straight. by the second day (y/n) was already starting to think of every possible worst case scenario, from diego being tortured in some dingy basement to him being left dead in some alleyway. what bugged (y/n) the most was that deigo didn't even explain where he went, he just came back, said sorry, and expected them to carry on with their days as if nothing had happened. 

"can you at least tell me why you've been such dick for the past week?" diego asked, exasperated as he followed (y/n) around the apartment, "are you seriously still upset about me going away for a few days?" 

this make (y/n) stop in their tracks and turn around to face diego. "you're kidding me right? of course im still upset diego," (y/n) yelled, their voice trembling a bit as tears began to form at the corner of their eyes, and their throat began to close up, "you left without a sign, as if im nothing to you, as if im just some rando you share an apartment with.  you know how worried i get whenever you're out there fighting crime and doing your thing-"

diego opened his mouth to say something but was instantly cut off by (y/n) continuing to speak. 

"i know you're perfectly capable of taking care of yourself diego, but that doesn't keep me from worrying that one day when you step out that door you'll never come back and instead i'll see your name on the news as the next homicide victim in this city. but i guess thats what i get for thinking you'd ever give a shit about me when saving the world has clearly always been your top priority," (y/n) finished off, their voice trailing off at the end as their face dropped to the ground to hide the incoming tears. 

"(y/n)..." diego started, walking towards them slowly, "i do give shit. you're the one thing keeping me going every day. you're who i look forward to seeing at the end of the day, and you're the one keeping me alive when im out there fighting." diego paused and took (y/n) into his arms, holding them tightly and breathing in the familiar scent of their hair. "i'm so sorry for making you feel like you're nothing to me." 

the next few minutes were filled with silent sobs and sniffling noses as the two stood embracing one another in their dimly lit apartment.  the only light coming in was from the blue neon lights of the deli shop across the street. the sound of cars driving on the damp city streets ecoed through the open window, bouncing off the walls. 

deigo pulled back from their embrace and looked (y/n) over, "will you let me help you out with that cut now?" 

(y/n) nodded silently and gave him a small smile. how could they say no to that heart-melting, soft, caring look in his eyes. 

_

hi again! i hope you enjoyed! tbh im not the happiest with how my writing is rn as i haven't written anything but research essays and papers for school in  last year and a half  but practice makes perfect and these will hopefully get better as i keep writing.