XL.ARTICLE

Posted on December 24, 2017 (11:00 PM) 

KUROSAWA MAIYU HAS SUCCESSFULLY 

DEFENDED HER NATIONAL TITLE

By: Kawashiro Kenta

Maiyu Kurosawa in her short program

The 23-year-old Maiyu Kurosawa has defended her national title from last year after dominating in all categories at the Japan's National Figure Skating Championships in Japan's capital Tokyo. 

Kurosawa finished first overall with the total score of 235.56 points, ahead of Satoko Miyahara. She was both in lead in the short program and in the free skate, scoring 81.8 points and 153.76 respectively.

The national champion, just like the previous nationals; she didn't prepared any quadruple jumps in any of her programs. Despite that, she still had herculean routine filled with complicated triples and combination jumps. 

In her short program, Kurosawa has executed all of her technical elements perfectly; even the triple axel and the triple lutz-triple loop combination. She also landed a total of six clean triple jumps in her "Romeo and Juliet" routine, including two triple Axels, one being in a combination. A no-mistake free program also earned a level 4 on all spins and footwork as well as positive grades of execution (GOE) on all elements. 

With her ranking, Kurosawa was chosen to represent Japan in Four Continents Championship, Worlds and the 2018 Olympics.

An excerpt from the interview with Maiyu Kurosawa right after her Japan's National Figure Skating Championships win follows.

After having two perfectly executed programs and successfully defended the national title, how do you feel?

With those feats that I achieved in course of these past days, of course I'm glad. Defending my title and finishing those performances were like breathe of fresh air. I don't have any regrets about it.

Weren't you nervous after finishing first in the short program?

You could say that I'm used to that since I hardly had that feeling. I know my efforts will be there to back me up. I gave my best in my short program and I'll also give my very best in free program. With that in mind, I was able to confidently face the free skate heads up, free from any uneasiness.

There were rumors circulation regarding your retirement, do you deem this statements as facts?

I can neither deny or confirm those rumors.

What are your plans for the future?

Back then if someone would ask me that I'll answer immediately such as winning competitions or setting new records, but now I don't want to think about it yet, there's still a lot of time ahead of me. I want my future unfold in front of me without any prepared plans. But one thing is for sure, I'll give the best for my greatest performance at my last stage.

Can you see yourself making history in the 2018 Olympics?

Well, let's wait till the Olympics. We will found out if I made a history.

See more

Japan's selected skaters for the 2018 Olympics

[published 4.21.20]

So... I'm back (its been 1 year and 1 month ehe). Pls no kill me. My drafts were lost as well my motivations (im just making excuses smh) (my drafts r probably deleted somehow). SORRY FOR THE LONG LONG WAITTTT and thank you for your support despite for waiting over a year. ill try to finish this story within this year so ehe ♡♡<3