Part 11: Without You Is How I Disappear

Stephanie's POV

I awoke the next morning from a call I got on my phone. The bassist of Calypso, Ivy, was crying through her words, telling me she found Joanna in her bed with no pulse, and in my mind, I realized it was time for me to act. "Okay, honey. Just breathe, calm down." Her devastation was genuine, and it hurt me a little to know these people would miss Joanna, but never realize she was actually alive. She kept trying to speak through her tears, "I don't understand how this could have happened! She seems perfectly fine, but she's so lifeless, and I don't know what to do!" "Honey, it's alright to feel that way. I will take care of everything, so Joanna will look beautiful and rest in peace. Do you trust me?" She took a minute to gather herself through her tears, and then replied with a shaky voice, "I trust you, thank you so much."

I called my most trusted colleague, Luis, and told him everything that happened between Remington and Joanna, and what he has to do to help them be together again. He promised to complete the task and would let me know how it goes. I thanked him, and sent him off. An hour after, the band members off Calypso came to speak with me, and I suggested a private funeral would be best, so the news of her death doesn't spread too fast. Grief stricken, they agreed and chose the coffin they wanted her to rest in. I carried Joanna's body and her in the coffin, and whispered to her "Don't worry, Joanna. I promise I'll do whatever it to make sure you're reunited with your husband, no matter the consequences." I kissed her forehead, and left the coffin half open so her head and body were visible.

The service was short and filled with tears, and I gave my traditional speech about moving to the afterlife and how death is a natural part of life we shouldn't be afraid of. Everything was going well, until I saw someone looking through the window of the church. My youngest son, Emerson, caught a glimpse of Joanna, and the look on his face tells me he knew who she was and that she was special to the family. He then turned away with tears in his eyes, and I got worried he might jeopardize that plan unintentionally. I had to keep a straight face, though while I was still here, so the band members would suspect anything. I just hope Luis is able to get to Remington before Emerson does.

Luis's POV

I got to the town line as quickly as I could possibly go, but then I started to see helicopters and police cars go ahead to where I was headed, and I feared the worst. When I got there, it was completely blocked off and I wasn't sure what to do. I asked a police officer what was happening and why it was closed off, and he responded, "we got a call an hour ago that someone saw Remington riding in town on a motorbike, and that he might have been leaving town. So, we're closing the town line off until we're able to find him and incarcerate him." I then turned away in despair and anxiety. What was I gonna do now?

I called Stephanie on her phone, hoping she was available. She answered on the third ring, and responded with a worried tone, "Luis, what's wrong? Why are you calling so early?" I responded in a desperate tone, "I'm sorry, Stephanie, but the town's been closed off until the police finds Remington and I can't get the message to him." I was so scared of what she might do o me for failing me. "Luis, don't blame yourself, okay? It's not your fault. We'll find a way. I just hope Emerson hasn't got to him yet." I got confused when she said that. "What do you mean?", I asked. "He saw Joanna and probably believes she's really dead, and he's probably gonna tell Remington." I got worried at the moment what might happen if Remington gets the wrong idea of the state that Joanna's in. "What should I do?" "Just come back to me, and we'll figure something out."

Emerson's POV

The tears would not stop falling down as I ran from the church where I just saw Remington's wife lay dead in a coffin. She looked so peaceful and even though lifeless, she was still so beautiful. I grabbed a nearby bicycle to get to where I wanted to get to faster. Knowing Remington, he was already outside of the town. To my surprise, the town was closed off, probably for the cops to try to find Remington if they believe he's still here. Luckily for me, I know only one way outside of the city without having to cross the town line. There was an abandoned warehouse that I discovered when I was acting like a pirate and looking for some treasure. There was an area on the wooden floorboard that felt more hollow and sounded more creaky than the rest of the floor. I inspected it, and it lead to a secret underground passageway. I walked through it, and found a ladder that led up to another door. When I climbed up and opened it, I didn't realize it at first, but I reached the other side of the city.

In the present day is how I evade the cops and try to get to my brother to tell him what happened with his wife. It just doesn't make sense. She didn't seem ill and despite the kind of life she had, she didn't seem self-destructive either. Remington didn't deserve to have this happen to him after all he's been through. I know what it's like to feel like the world is against you, and nothing you is ever good enough. No one should ever feel like that, no matter how much bad that may have done or not. As I was thinking all this, I saw Remington sitting on a tree stump looking down with his hands folded. I started to think this might not be a good timing, but he deserved to know what's become of Joanna. As much as it pains me, he should try to see her at least once more.

"Remington?", I said unsurely. Then he looked up and seemed surprised to see me. He perked up and greeted me, "Emerson! I'm so glad to see you!" He then hugged me, and I hugged back hesitantly. "You have no idea what it's like to be isolated from civilization. Well, maybe you do, its been horrible. Man, I can't even-" "Remington, it's Joanna!", I cut him off with fear in my heart. His eyes lit up when he heard the name. "Emerson, what is it? Is she alright? Does she miss me? Does she need anything or...?" I couldn't look at him and tell him, but the words found its way out, "She's dead." He was dead silent, and when I looked up again, he had turned white and all the life that was in his eyes seemed to have disappeared. He started shaking his head, and his knees fell to the ground. I could hear his sobs as he cursed the world and himself. I was about to reach out to try to console him, but then he got up and pushed me out of the way, and started running to the town line.

O!M!G! 😱😱😱 This is going to get very interesting indeed. What will happen to our beloved couple now? The conclusion is coming very soon, but I hope you all still stick around to see the fate of these star-crossed lovers. Thank you for the reads and votes, and I love you with all my heart! 💗💗💗