Chapter 5

Castle Black - The Gate

Jon watched as they brought in the two bodies that they had found, with Ghost's help, and couldn't help but be glad that they hadn't found his uncle.

"It's Other, without a doubt." Mormont said as he looked at the first body, and then glanced at the other.

"The other one is Jafer Flowers, My Lord. Less the hand the wold tore off." Othell Yarwyck, the Ranger who had overseen their vows said.

"Any sign of Benjen or the rest of his party?" Mormont questioned, glancing at Jon.

"Just these two, My Lord. Been dead awhile, I'd say." Jon replied anxiously.

"Mmm." Mormont grumbled, looking at the bodies.

"The smell." Sam said, sniffing the bodies.

"What smell?" Yarwyck questioned.

"There is none. If they'd been dead for a long time, wouldn't there be rot?"

"We should burn them." Jon said.

"Snow's not wrong, My Lord. Fire will do for them. The wildling way." Yarwyck grumbled.

"I want Maester Aemon to examine them first. You may be a coward Tarly, but you're not stupid. Get them inside." Mormont said.

"You heard him." Yarwyck said, gesturing for the rangers that brought them in to bring them up to the Maester's chambers.

"Lord Commander, Maester Aemon awaits you in his chambers. A raven from King's Landing." Thorne said to Mormont, who nodded and set off after the men with the dead bodies.

Castle Black - Mormont's Chambers

"Bring me a horn of ale, Snow, and pour one for yourself. The King is dead." Jon poured two cups before sitting down across from the commander, feeling his nerves kick in.

"Is there any word of my father?"

"Lord Stark has been charged with treason. They say he conspired with Robert's brothers to deny the throne to Prince Trentan." Jon pointed at the letter, asking if he could read it, and Mormont handed it over. When he finished, he stood up, wanting to bolt out the door.

"I hope you're not thinking of doing anything stupid. Your duty lies here now."

"My sisters were in King's Landing too. And my brother is at Casterly Rock."

"I'm sure they'll be treated gently." Jon jerked out a nod before turning and leaving the room.

Castle Black - The Kitchen

While everyone else was gossiping over the bodies, Jon and Sam were preparing a meal for their masters and themselves, until Ser Alliser walked up to them.

"Now there's a rare sight. Not only a bastard, but a traitor's bastard." Jon looked at Thorne for seven long seconds before lunging forward, trying to hit him, but was stopped by Pyp, who had seen the commotion about to occur, and Sam.

"Jon, no! Jon, stop, put it down!"

"Blood will always tell. You'll hang for this, bastard." Thorne said with a grin as he walked away. Mormont approached Jon a moment later.

"I told you not to do anything stupid. You're confined to quarters. Go." Jon obeyed, and walked off to his room, with his anger boiling in his chest.

Later that night, Ghost woke Jon by scratching and whining at the door.

"Ghost, what's wrong? Is something out there?" Ghost looked at Jon before he continued to scratch and whine, so Jon got out of bed, and put all of his gear on, before opening the door and following Ghost who began to run to Mormont's room. Jon walked up and knocked on the door.