Chapter 3

"What the hell?"

"Hey, Joaquin, I didn't make the rules." It was Monday, and biology was starting in five minutes. Joaquin Lars loomed over me, a scowl written across his jagged features. I knew it wasn't right, but I was enjoying his frustration. "If you have an issue, go take it up with your Mom."

"You know I can't do that." Joaquin's posture was stiff and unnatural.

"Well," I shrugged, sitting down at my desk. "That's your problem, not mine."

Joaquin opened his mouth to speak, but before he could, the shrill sound of the bell interrupted him. Ms. Swanson clapped her hands, the signal for the class to sit down at their desks and listen. I watched with faint satisfaction as Joaquin dropped down into his chair, defeated.

"Good morning, class! I've finished grading your tests. Overall, you guys did pretty well. We had one perfect scorer too." Ms. Swanson smiled at me, and I felt a wave of pride wash over my chest. She didn't announce my name, but as she handed me back my paper, she whispered, "Nice job, Storm."

Happiness leapt in my belly as I saw the red 100% written atop my paper. Below my name, she had also written, 'Nice doodles'.

I grinned. Ms. Swanson was nice, albeit a bit loud. I liked her as a teacher.

Then I glanced at Joaquin. He was resting on the table with his head lying in his arms, his paper abandoned on the desk. I managed to catch a glimpse of a 34%.

Despite the fact that he tried to cheat off of me, I still felt bad, then a wave of realization hit me and I stifled back a groan. Oh my god, Storm, you have to tutor a guy who gets a 34% in biology. Great.

I could tell I had my work cut out for me.

***

At lunch, I sat down besides my friends Lucy and Chloe, before taking out a ham and cheese sandwich that my mom had packed for me. Lucy had her eyes glued to a book, as always, her long black hair cascading down her back in waves as she sipped her bottle of water delicately.

Everything about Lucy Choi seemed delicate and fragile -- her skin was pale, and her eyes were round and wide. Every action she made always seemed calculated.

Chloe, on the other hand, was rowdy and loud. Her bubbly personality matched her vibrant carrot-coloured hair, and her yellow-painted nails tapped the table excitedly as I chewed. "Did you know Luke Rhodes asked me out?"

"He did?" I wasn't surprised. It was known that Luke, the captain of our school's basketball team, had a thing for redheads. Last time, he took Jolene Miller, a girl with flaming red hair and deep dark green eyes, as his prom date. The year before, he dated Hannah Chering, and rumours stated that he then broke up with her after discovering her red hair wasn't natural.

"Yes!" Chloe looked so excited that I was afraid she was about to pass out. "We're going on a date this Saturday. I think he's taking me down to Everlay Cove."

"Well, have fun there." Lucy paused her reading of War and Peace briefly to take a bite of her salad. "I heard it's beautiful there this time of year."

"It really is." Chloe said dreamily, then turned to me. "What're doing this weekend, Storm?"

"Oh, my mom signed me up to tutor this guy in my Bio class. His name's Joaquin."

Chloe gasped. Lucy put her book down.

Yikes, this is serious.

"What?" I glanced at the two of them, confused. "What?"

"Joaquin Lars? The cute quarterback?" Chloe asked, leaning closer towards me from across the table.

"I didn't know he was a quarterback, but, yes? He tried to cheat off of my test the other day too. Also, he's not cute."

Lucy snorted, then resumed reading. "I have him in math. He was sent to the principal's office for copying Mark Chen's homework answers. Good luck with him, Storm."

"Thanks." I took another bite of my sandwich, chewing thoughtfully. This guy seems to have quite the reputation.

The bell rang, signaling the end of the lunch period. I shoved the rest of the sandwich in my mouth, then grabbed my bag and headed out of the cafeteria.

"I hope you know what you're getting into." Chloe said, giving me a pat on the shoulder as she hurried off to English class with her new boyfriend, Luke.

Yeah, I thought internally, making my way to French. I hope so too.