Chapter 3

-~Harlequin~-

    Hawk trotted alongside them as they made their way to the dungeon that held the Fairy King. He was charged with the massacre of several humans, when in actuality it was a fairy that he had already killed.

    The guards let them in and led only Zeldris down to the cell. The fairy sat there sad and pathetically His hair was matted from years without cleaning it and his eyes were dull and dead.

    Zeldris walked steadily to him. The fairy looked up a bit but didn't respond.

    "So Harlequin..." Zeldris began. "You took the punishment of a crime you never committed, I wonder why." The fairy was quiet for a moment.

    "A human like you wouldn't understand..." Harlequin muttered.

    "That's the thing. I'm not a human." Zeldris squared down in front of him.

    "Then what are you?"

    "A demon."

    The king's eyes darkened. Zeldris could tell he wasn't all to pleased with that information.

    "Look, if you have a problem with demons then I can leave. But I wanna make it known," Zeldris went on. The king looked up curiously. "None of my fellow demons would even want me alive anymore. In sense I can understand what it like to fail others."

    "How do you know I failed someone?" Harlequin asked.

    "The other fairy... Was he your friend? He was your subject too." Harlequin nodded.

    "Well, I have one question. Soon the demons will be released. How? I don't know.  But I know that they need to be stopped. So, will you join me in a team I'm forming in order to stop them?"

    "Fine." Zeldris nodded and blasted the cuffs off of the boy. He stood up and stretched out his weary bones. "But first, can I take a bath and nap somewhere comfy?"