Chapter 42

Darkness

Darkness...

Pain...

...fury

I will not be taken by the gods.

I will disappear...

And you, my love...

...will find me.

...then...

I promise.

The darkness.

I will bring the darkness.

***

Darkness. It's all I see.

All I can hear is my own breathing and the pounding of my heart.

I rub my eyes, trying to rid them of the shadows. I'm no longer in Valentine's room.

I walk slowly to the edge of the unlit balcony – fingers curling around the cool twisted railing - and look at the labyrinth that extends for miles beneath. I've been here before.

My gaze travels to its center. There is darkness; a raging tornado of it, swallowing the shadowy corridors and walls of steel and stone. The force of it shakes the ground and fills the heavy black air with the sound of faraway thunder.

"Well, that's interesting. . . " A low British voice booms from behind.

Mino comes to stand beside me.

"We're asleep," I say.

"You are," he says. "You got the full force of the sleeping draft that guarded the box."

"What else was inside the box?"

He pauses – leaning over the railing. "Nothing."

My jaw clenches. "So he was lying? It was just a way to get us to bring him back to the world of the living?"

"Perhaps. But then again, perhaps not. Perhaps our answers lie here."

I look out at the maze that stretches far beyond the horizon.

"You're not asleep? How are you here?" I ask him.

"I entered your mind to try and wake you."

I look up at him. "And?"

He slowly shakes his head. "Sorry, my friend. I think there is only one way for you to get out."

Both of us look at the wild tornado of shadow as it rages and ravishes all in its path.