Chapter 69: Waking Up

ELEANORA'S POV
  There is someone beside me. A presence I know so well. It is James Carstairs. I don't know how but I know with full certainty that it is him.

  My eyes open. I gasp, feeling energy in me, seeing light again. How long have I been asleep for?

  I am in the Institute.

  I turn and I see Jem. But he is not the old Jem. My eyes widen as I take him in.

  Jem waits for my comments.

  Finally, I say, "James, the change in fashion isn't exactly very attractive."

  Jem laughs. "You have been sleeping for a week, Ella. I came to see Tessa. She also has just woken."

  I lift a hand and take Jem's. "You went to become a Silent Brother."

  Jem nods. "I did. Ella, I came here because you are one of my closest friends. And I know how you look at Will—"

  "Jem," I cut him off, smiling. "I won't break his heart. I will look after Tessa for you. She will wait, Jem. You know she would."

  Jem nods. A look of sadness passes over him. "Thank you, Ella, for all these years."

  I struggle, then swing my legs off the bed and stand. I smile at Jem again. "This is not goodbye, James. It is merely saying hello to a new you. But a you nonetheless."

  I crush Jem in a hug. A new Jem, but Jem nonetheless.

~

  When I've changed—into a simple dress as I am too weak to put on Shadowhunter equipment still—and braided my hair, I make my way to the training room, where I know Will would be at.

  Then I stop. He would have spoken to Jem. Tessa has woken. He doesn't know that I have. I retract my steps, moving to my brother's room.

  I knock softly and enter.

  I see my Brother on his bed, clutching Violet's hand, Jamie on an armchair sleeping.

  Caspian looks up when I enter, and his face lights up. "Ella."

  I lean against his doorframe. "I can leave, if you are busy."

  Caspian glances from Violet to Jamie—who woke up—and then looks at me. He lets go of Violet's hand, standing.

  "Let's go," He says.

  I smile as he walks out of his room, and I lead him up to the roof of the Institute.

  We sit at the edge of it, legs dangling.

  "You shouldn't have left without us," Caspian says.

  I shrug. "I don't necessarily like your new friends, Caspian. But then again, I usually don't like anyone I meet at the start."

  Caspian smiles. "I hope that you will warm up to them, Ella. I have finally found love."

  I look at him closely. "You truly love her, Caspian?"

  Caspian nods. "Yes."

  I look away, out at London. "Then you are leaving."

  Caspian is silent for a moment. Then, "yes. I am."

  I let out an exhale. My mum, Jem, my Brother. Who else?

  "I will miss you, then," I simply say.

~

  Caspian leaves me. I stay on the rooftop, finding comfort in the peace and solace of it. Mortmain is gone. Tessa is back. Jem is alive. Will is alive.