9 • MIDDAY BLUES

Start from the beginning

A blast of cool air hit the two hockey players in the face as they made their way to his car. They walked oddly close to each other, not speaking but rather just enjoying having their presences with someone else right there. No one in the locker room would have thought these two were remotely close, but the tension was slowly making its way.

Taking the bag from Parker's shoulder, Patrick put it in the back seat along with his. She hadn't even been able to protest his actions, instead she just got in the passenger seat. She desperately wanted to ask how he was feeling, he could tell. She looked like a small child attempting to keep themselves from blurting out a question as her eyes kept flicking away from him and back.

Patrick sighed as he got behind the wheel. He tried to smile over at her hoping he could answer her question she was more than likely going to ask, "Quenneville's done a lot for me, but if management says it's time to move on then we don't have much of a choice."

"D-did y'all even know it was happening?"

"I heard some rumors but.. it's not like they're gonna just consult with us about it."

"Are you okay with it?"

There was silence for a quick second before he answered, "It's not like I'll never see him again. Just gotta see what happens now I think." Patrick waited for Parker to buckle. He then grabbed the aux cord that hung loosely and passed it to her, "here, you can play whatever you want."

"Well what sort of music do you normally listen to." the change in topic was pretty noticeable but it was done, for now.

"Anything. I'm not too picky."

"Okay. Don't you complain then if you don't like what I play." she had never been in Pat's car before. It was really clean for a guy's car in fact. Normally she'd play whatever music she felt like, but she didn't know Pat's taste well enough to feel confident in her choices.

"You got it." As they pulled out of the lot, it hit Pat just how hungry he was. And there wasn't much for him back at his place, "wanna get something to eat? My treat."

"Sure, if you let me pay for myself."

"I just said-"

"I don't like people paying for me.." Parker pouted at him, but it was doubtful he saw as his eyes were on the road.

"Well suck it up."

"I don't have much of a choice now do I?"

"Nope."

•••

             "Thanks for paying, Pat. Even though I told you not to.." Parker ate her sandwich as she sent him a playful glare. They had about a five minute 'argument' over it in the car before Patrick flat out took her card.

He chuckled as he set his water down, "told you it wasn't a big deal. You've been making dinner for me so it's the least I can do."

She knew he had a point. He'd been coming over a lot more and they'd randomly talk over a meal and then go separate ways. Apart of her figured he was trying to be healthier as he got older, but was very incapable of helping himself when it came to food. She, on the other hand, was happy to help, "yes. I suppose you're right."

"I'm not kidding, you may be a life saver."

"I don't mean to brag, but I know, I'm pretty great." she said as she flipped her hair making the man across from her laugh.

"Not gonna lie here, I was pretty nervous when we were told there would be a girl on the team. But you're an alright kid."

His comment made Parker's stomach do flips. This has been his way of letting her know she was completely accepted in his eyes. It made her feel good, "you're an alright old guy too."

"I'm not that old."

"Aren't you getting up there?"

"Thirty isn't up there Parker." he made a face at her way.

"According to you." she shrugged. Finally the woman working at the deli brought the pair their food. They were starved.

Parker took her time with the food, and her conversations with Patrick was what made that happen. The two talked about things they had in common. She was surprised when he talked a bit about his childhood and then asked about hers. She actually loved telling funny stories of the stupid things she had to deal with, with her very large family. They were able to joke about what it was like playing as teens, and he wanted to know all about her college career. Parker enjoyed getting to tell him about her former teammates and all the good times they shared. He seemed very interested and surprirsed by the fact she was so into doing stuff mainly guys liked. And of course in turn he shared some of his favorite moments of being the top star of the nhl- though he'd never put it that way.

As he talked, Pat noticed how she stared at him with admiration beaming in her eyes, "seriously, how big is your family, and especially since you all live in the same area. It sounds way too complicated for me and I thought my family was interesting."

"Well, there's me, my mom, and dad. Then there's my mom's sister with her husband and two kids. My dad has a brother and sister, with their respective families. Of course there's my grandparents, other cousins, and family friends who think they're in the family.. and we all basically live within thirty minutes of each other."

"Jesus. Too much family in one area for me." Pat's eyebrows were raised in a disbelief, "I don't really even like being in Buffalo for the whole summer. I'm close with my sisters though."

"Well that's how I grew up. Tons of fun, that's why I have so many stories." Patrick had shared some stories, and she felt bad that they had two completely different feelings when it came to family.

"If any of 'em come to town, introduce me. Would love to see who raised you." he watched as she rolled her eyes at him and muttered 'whatever'. By now they learned they could just make remarks at each other to see who'd get pissed first. Parker was glad to see she was having a tight relationship with someone like she's always had in the past.

•••

Patrick fell back onto the bed in his new apartment absolutely exhausted, but not physically. He wasn't quite sure what he was feeling in this moment. Starting with Coach Q; it felt surreal and that there had to have been something he could have done to help him. What if he hadn't gotten sick in Vancouver and could have played? He knew it was pointless to blame himself and what was done was done; which he knew all too well. But it was the fact it came out of left field for him is what made it harder. There hadn't been a chance for goodbyes and he flat out upset about it.

'Thank god for Parker though,' he thought. Something about her was a distraction for him from everything. Being around her made him feel calmer than normal and he just enjoyed her company. She was a fun girl to be around; but she wasn't like other girls he's met. Her dry humor and ability to understand sarcasm was uncanny. It was obvious she's spent most of her time around guys because how much she seemed like one. Patrick thought it was weird at first, that a girl could hold the same thought process as a guy and ability to fit in so well. But for her it just seemed normal, as he's known her for almost two months.

He also found himself starting to gravitate to her more than Jon or even some of the others that he's known for years. To him, Parker was just lovely; he could never keep his eyes off her and just hung to her every word. Her charisma seemed to have him entranced for sure. As he kept getting to know her and spending more time with her there were sides to her that definitely weren't evident at first. She was a great girl.

               All in all something just seemed to click between the pair, and they got along great. Patrick would always find a way to include Parker in the conversations around the locker room, see what she was up to at home, and just make things out to seem like he was concerned. Really he didn't even notice he was doing these things, he figured it was just him as an older male watching out for the much younger girl.