chapter 4

—Flashback—

POV: 3rd person
Maurice was in the garden together with Knuckles and Scourge.

Who would I choose?, Maurice thought as he watched the two look around to make sure there was no one who wanted to get their hands on the prince. Now that most of the kingdoms knew about what happened, people were trying to get the prince to themselves since he possessed a very rare type of magic.

"Hey Blue, have you already decided who you want as your Personal Guardian?" Scourge asked as he sat down next to Maurice under the tree.

"That's no way to speak to the Prince Scourge, and you know that." Knuckles said as he stood guard, his gaze would sometimes be on the prince if he wasn't looking around.

"You know I don't mind that Knucks." Maurice said and got comfortable against the tree. "And I don't have an answer to your question Scourge. It's so hard to choose between you two."

"Well, you will have to choose eventually. And I hope you will choose me." Scourge whispered in the royal blue furred ear of the prince, making it flicker.

"Scourge, stop that." Maurice said as he pushed him away. "You know how sensitive they are."

"I know, that's why I did that. But sadly you didn't make any little noises." Scourge said and embraced the smaller hedgehog.

"Knuckles, Scourge, the King and Queen ordered you to come to the throne room. Now." A servant walked up to the two hedgehogs and echidna with the message.

"Alright, I will be back soon Blue." Scourge said before letting go of the prince and got up.

"Wait, but who is guarding Sonic while we are gone. It's too dangerous to leave him alone." Knuckles said as he crossed his arms. "I'm not leaving his side until there is a replacement."

"We will look after him." Maurice tensed up from the sudden arms around him. He hadn't noticed his twin siblings sneaking up on him. "We don't want our little brother to get hurt."

"Manic!" Maurice said and hugged his big brother back, who was only 30 minutes older.

"Alright then, come on Scourge. We can't let the King and Queen wait." Knuckles said before following the servant who had already started walking. Scourge looked at the three siblings before following them.

———

"You wished to speak to us, My Lord." Knuckles said as he got on one knee. Scourge did the same as soon as he saw Knuckles doing so.

"Yes, we have decided not to let Maurice choose who he wants as Personal Guardian but we." Jules, the king, started. "We had some servants spying on you so we could make our decision."

"Us is told that you, Scourge, seem to have a love interest in our son. You rather spend with him than actually looking after him." Aleena, the queen, said. Scourge looked down in shame since he knew that was true. "And we heard that you, Knuckles, are really taking this seriously. You are protecting him, making sure he's safe. You are getting along with my son and are polite." She said as she smiled at Knuckles. "So that's why we choose you to be our son's Personal Guardian."

"Thank you My Lady, it's an honor to protect someone as kind and caring as your son." Knuckles said with one of the brightest smiles he had ever had. He sworn to himself that he would protect the prince with his life, not caring that it could be the end of him.

"And Scourge, you will be banished from this Kingdom. I don't tolerate the way you touched my son." Jules said as he glared at Scourge.

"But Sire-" Scourge said while standing up but the king cut him off.

"Guards! Take him away!" Jules ordered as he smashed his fist on the throne. The knights, who were standing by the door, came in action. They both grabbed Scourge by the arm before dragging him away.

"No! You can't just banish me! I will get revenge on you for doing this!" Scourge growled as he struggled to get free of their grasp. Knuckles just looked at how he was taken away, agreeing with the punishment he got.

"Knuckles, you can go back to our son now." Aleena said. Knuckles nodded and got up before going back to the garden where he found the three siblings. Sonic noticed Knuckles walking towards them but there was no Scourge.

"Where is Scourge?" Sonic asked as he got up.

"He's banished from your Kingdom, My Lord." Knuckles answered.

Why would mom and dad do that?, Sonic thought as he tried to process what he was told.