nine

The last words that Nora said to Teddy were "Thank you for last night, Teddy

The last words that Nora said to Teddy were "Thank you for last night, Teddy. I really liked it."

That was a week ago. School was back in session. Teddy hadn't talked to her since then. He made an effort to try, but she was always busy. He was sure she was avoiding him.

His thoughts were racing. Was I bad? Am I not handsome enough? Was she just using me?

She wasn't trying to use him. She enjoyed his company, but she never meant for her teasing to go that far. She flirted with many boys at Hogwarts, but she never did more than kissing.

She always ran away from anything that resembled a relationship. Of course, she never told anyone that. She barely even admitted it to herself. She never meant to go too far with Teddy. She never thought of it as a real relationship.

Nora grew up without a family. The kids at the orphanage didn't understand her. The matron of the orphanage was a horrible woman that whipped the children when they did something she didn't like.

Nora was scared of being close to someone and loving them, only to have them throw her away in the end. After all, that was what her parents did. They simply put her up for adoption. She wasn't sure if her parents thought a nice couple would have adopted her or if they were just selfish, but she never truly got her happy ending.

"What's with you and Lupin?" Fraser asked.

Nora shrugged. "Nothing. We're just friends."

"It doesn't even look like you two are friends," he retorted as he lazily slung an arm around her shoulders.

"He's got better friends. He shouldn't waste his time on me. So, how're your parents?"

Fraser shrugged. "Dad's fine, but my mum is a wee bit mad at him because he's been traveling with the team for months now."

Nora grinned. "I would be too if my husband left me for months."

"He didn't leave her. He's just busy. When he gets back home, Mom'll probably get him drunk and then get pregnant, so that he has an excuse to leave the team for a year."

Nora stared at him. "Is that how you were conceived?"

"No comment."