"Hey, everyone," he said, awkwardly scratching the back of his neck. I smiled a little as my eyes began to water from the impending news that he's yet to even share with everyone. I shot him a thumbs up to continue from where I was sitting in front of the stage. "Most of you know me, but for those of you who don't, I'm Ian Miller. I worked here for about 4 years before I was sent overseas for the army. When I came back home about 6 months ago, Mr. Westchester rehired me. I'm up here to share some saddening news with you all, the people who have welcomed me back home with open arms and made it so much easier to get back to my normal life."

   I made the mistake of looking around for my friends; that's when I locked eyes with Kaila and she instantly began pushing her way through the crowd to me.

   "Yesterday I received a call from my colonel. I've been called into active duty and I leave tomorrow." Kaila stopped beside me just as the news was broken. She looked at Ian first then at me. I stood up and instantly welcomed her into my arms.

   "Again, I just want to thank you all for everything you've each done for me. I promise you have all had more of an impact on my life than you could even imagine." His voice breaking is what signaled him he needed to be done standing up there and talking to everyone.

   Person after person went up to Ian to wish him luck and bid their goodbyes. While he was doing that, our friends found me.

   "He's really leaving again?" Mason mumbled in disbelief. Everyone seems to be in agreement it's too soon. He only just got home six months ago.

   Noah found his way over with Andrea in tow. His jaw was basically on the floor, and he looked a different type of sad. I mean, after all, he did only just reconnect with his best friends from the earlier years of high school. Our friendship with Noah has been growing since he's been home more, but now Ian will be the absent one.

   "How are you, Jos?" Through Noah's hurts expression, he selflessly asked me how I am. That's another aspect Noah has proven to grow up in after all of the years we've been apart. He's no longer all about himself like he was freshmen and sophomore year. He has goals and ambitions and does things for others as opposed to things that only benefit him.

   "I'll be okay." It'll be hard, but I'll be okay. I've got a whole support team this time around. Mason is home, and so is Noah. Plus, I'll always have Kaila and Anthony. Just the same, they all have me.

   Ian stepped down from the stage just as Anthony made it over to us. Anthony laid a hand on Ian's shoulder and they exchanged a brief look of sadness.

   "You're doing something great, Ian," Anthony reminded him. "Just make sure you come home to us."

   Ian looked around our group of friends and nodded. "Of course, I will." He wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me into his side. I leaned into him and closed my eyes, soaking in this feeling. It'll be one of the last times for a while, and I want to enjoy it for as long as I can.

   The morale of the room was brought down after the mood-killer news, not that anyone resented Ian for sharing it. He was pretty much out of time to tell people and had to capitalize on his opportunity.

   "Come on, guys," Ian called out to the crowd of our co-workers. "This is our last time partying together for a while, let's enjoy it, okay?" It took several minutes, but the crowd started talking more and moving around. It was no longer sad and depressing, or at least as sad and depressing as it was right when Ian broke the news.

~•~

   The night was coming to a dreaded close. Ian was talking to Mr. Westchester and Caroline while I sat and watched from a distance with tears brimming my eyes.