Take My Breath Away

It was almost like her heart stopped.

Lauren felt as if she was going to fall over and have an attack of some sort. She could feel the blush creeping across her features, turning them a bright shade of scarlet that stood out like a sore thumb against her skin. Her mind was a mish-mash of thoughts, none of which were coherent enough to make an understandable sentence, so she just stood there beside Y/n, clad in only the nightie he had given her to wear.

Thud, thud, thud.

The thumping of her heart sounded in her ears. Oh, good. At least I know I'm still alive. She thought shakily, gulping hard.

His words kept playing on loop in her mind.

"You are breathtaking, Lauren Jauregui."

Even thinking about the kind man's words caused her to go into an even further state of being flustered.

Breathtaking...

Breathtaking?

Her?

Breathtaking.

It all seemed to be like something that had happened to someone else. Not her. Not that she didn't think she was attractive, but...for someone to say it with such conviction, with such kind eyes, and in a voice that almost made her want to cry...

It was like a dream.

And Lauren didn't want to wake up.

She only gazed into Y/n's hazel orbs, absorbing her thoughts and the actions that just took place. The dark haired woman sighed and looked from her portrait back to Y/n, an uneasiness creeping over her. His comment was much appreciated - it had made her feel so much more beautiful than anything else had lately, especially after her encounter with Zayn and his new flame at the restaurant - but...for some reason...it made her feel like a homewrecker.

Her emerald orbs flickered with worry as she let out an uneven sigh. By being this close to Y/n, her feelings for him were growing stronger and stronger with each passing moment, and when he had said those words...calling her "breathtaking" of all things, she felt extremely happy and giddy, but now she was beginning to feel a tinge of guilt come into her consciousness.

Y/n had a girlfriend. One he loved, she thought. And what was she doing? Probably creating a gaping hole in their relationship. She didn't know if Y/n had told his girlfriend about their meeting today, or their lunch yesterday...it was almost like an affair.

Lauren shuddered at the thought. It made her feel dirty and terrible and upset.

She was basically doing the same thing Zayn had done with that woman. Cheating.

I'm so stupid...

Stupid for letting herself get this attached. Stupid for being so close to him - for actually wanting that closeness. Stupid for allowing all this to happen. She was beginning to develop true feelings for the artist, and...and...

Damn it!

Lauren was starting to get a headache, as well as feeling like she was on the verge of tears. She fisted a hand in her hair and looked away, trying to stop the heated tears from pouring from her eyes without remorse. She exhaled shakily, tugging more and more on her dark locks as if in rebellion against her feelings.

"Lauren?"

She didn't look at him, for fear of bursting into tears at that very moment at the expression his voice was holding.

"Lauren." Y/n repeated, firmer, but with a caring undertone, "Look at me. Please."

The dark haired beauty looked up, and Y/n could see that she was on the verge of tears. For a second, he thought it was because of what he said, but then he realized the look of distress marring her features. "Are you alright, Lauren?"