Nineteen

"I'm sorry you had to deal with that." Ian consoles me as he hands me a cup of tea. After Violet went back to the hospital, the girls and I departed and went different ways for the remainder of the evening.

I decided to spend the rest of the day with Ian.

"It just sucks you know? Everything seems to be falling apart." I admitand look down at my feet as I sank back into the couch. 

"You know a great woman once said, 'Sometimes bad things happen so good things can.'" Ian pauses and I smile.

"Becca Fitzpatrick said that." I whisper and he nods. "Which means in a way that sometimes you have to break, sometimes the things you see have to break and fall apart completely so they can come back together and be even more beautiful and succesful than before." He explains and I bite the inside of my cheek.

"But it doesnt take away the fact that good things happen to bad people." I add and wince to myself.

"In a sick way, sometimes good things happen to bad people to psych them out. It blows up their head and makes them cocky, then as soon as they get to the point where they think they have it all, their reality is pulled from under their feet and they fall flat on their ass. Good things happen to bad people to teach them a lesson- so they won't take the good things for granted. Bad things happen to good people for the same reason- to teach them a lesson. That Grace and Glory go hand and hand. But Expectations and Disappointment do as well." Ian replies, stroking my arm and I feel tears pierce my eyes.

"It's no fair." I complain, my bottom lip quivering.

"Life isn't fair. If it was, we wouldnt have anything to fight or strive for." Ian says with a shrug and I inhale sharply. 

"I was wrong about you Ian Valente. You do obtain depth." I tease and we both chuckle softly.

"You out of all people should know. That means more than one thing." He whispers and rises to his feet.

"I know it does, you little nasty." I say turning up my nose and Ian laughs and takes my hand, then kisses it softly.

"I also have something to tell you," I say hesitantly and stare up into his bright eyes. "Sure go ahead," He says, taking a seat next to me and smiling.

"You know how you said your snake is missing?" I remind and he nods. "Homecoming night, there was a snake thrown into my room. Dead of course, but its head and tail were tied together." I inform and his eyes widen.

I was waiting for him to explode or curse Sara's name.

He scratches his aftershaved chin and exhales sharply, "I know exactly who it would be." He mutters and I see his face scrunch up.

"I know too.." My voice trails off as I gain the strengh to say her name but Ian says a name at the same time.

"Ms. Evelyn."

"Zachary." 

I frown at Ian and shake my head. "What do you mean Zachary?" I ask and he raises an eyebrow. "Why would it be Ms. Evelyn?" He retorts back in the same tone.

"Why would it be Zachary?" I say, folding my arms across my chest. No sense was being made right now.

"Why would it be Ms. Evelyn?" Ian mumbles. "You're much smarter than that Ian. Dont answer a question with a question. Why would Zachary be after me or why would he throw that in my bedroom for that matter?" I ask and Ian shrugs.

"Don't feed me that bullshit Ian. You know damn well why Ms. Evelyn would, I heard you guys talking at homecoming, plus I've caught you two multiple times." I admit and Ian turns his back from me.