Epilogue: A Letter to Jared Farrows

• Đã dành riêng cho Each and every person who has read this story. I LOVE YOU.

A million thank yous to everyone who has read, voted, and commented on this story. I appreciate it more than you'll ever know.

And, without further ado...here is the epilogue :).

Epilogue: A Letter to Jared Farrows

June 23, 2061

Dear Mr. Farrows,

Congratulations, Jared. You, for all intents and purposes, have won.

All these years of skirting around each other, plotting against each other—all of it led up to that single moment, that fated day.

And you have come out on top.

I hope you're proud, Mr. Farrows. You bested me, the unbeatable enemy. And, though I admit I did not expect much of you, you proved to be a formidable adversary. Your success is quite a feat, really. You should proud. So proud, in fact, that you should stand upon the tallest building and proclaim, "I, Jared Farrows, have beaten the—"

Oh, but wait: you can't say that, can you, Jared? Or, should I say, Jeremy.

You haven't told anyone your true name, have you? No one knows who you really are. For that, quite honestly, you have my respect. A man often finds that his name is the only thing he has; to give it up in favor of another is a challenge indeed.

I must say, though: I don't believe your legions of Followers would sympathize.

I'm not surprised that you didn't reveal your past to them, Jared. I certainly wouldn't want to, either. After all, how would people react if they were to learn that their fearless leader is practically a Superior himself?

I can imagine you staring at this page right now, incredulous at the blasphemous label. But, my dear sir, you really cannot deny it: that is what you are. When I brought you to the Capitol after your parents had been so tragically murdered, I performed the same alterations on you that I have done to every Superior since, save for the aesthetic beauty. You have the strength, the intellect, the death-defying longevity—you are capable of everything that Miracle is. Your problem is that you're too frightened take advantage of the gifts I've given you.

Imagine what you could do with your abilities! You could become a professional athlete, a brain surgeon—anything you wished, really. Yet, instead, you choose to lead the Pro-Inferiors, where you are forced to disappear every few years to acquire a new appearance, a new voice, and a new name to match. Just so that no one figures out your secret. (I'd go through all the pseudonyms you've worn in the past, but I don't think they're necessary to prove my point.) You'll never be able to live, Jared. You'll never be a proper leader if your entire platform is supported by lies! All you'll ever be is a weak, jaded, paranoid soul.

And for what?

Revenge?