★☆

"So, Jack," Sabrina began, staring at her nephew as they sat in the pink leather booths of the local ice cream store. He was slurping down a strawberry double scoop, his green eyes bright with excitement. He looked over at his Aunt and smiled broadly, ice cream coating his lips. "What would you say if I told you I wanted to be a superhero?"

"That would be awesome!" Jack exclaimed, diving back into his treat. Alicia had requested that she pick him up from school that day seeing as she and her ex-husband were both busy, which Sabrina was more than happy to do. "You'd make such a cool superhero, Aunt Brie."

Sabrina beamed. She knew if anyone was to understand, it would be the six year-old boy. She loved being so present in his life, it was as if it gave her a purpose of some kind when there was nothing else going for her. "I'm glad you think that. What about a costume? What should I wear?"

"Are you gonna save the world?" Jack's shimmering gaze flickered over to the woman, full of awe. She smiled and shrugged, leaving the question open-ended. He began to bounce up and down on his seat. Ice cream splattered everywhere and Sabrina giggled softly, reaching for a napkin to wipe the mess up. Maybe this was why Alicia didn't always let her babysit; she and Jack were far too chaotic when together. "Wow! I think your costume should be blue, because that's my favourite colour."

Sabrina hummed, scooping another spoonful of mango sorbet into her mouth. With her mouth full, she nodded at the young boy. "Fair enough. Blue, then. Maybe you can draw something when we get back to your mum's place."

Jack laughed happily as he ate the rest of his cone, then wiping his hands on Sabrina's unused napkin. 

Sabrina couldn't help the smile directed at her nephew. 

At least someone was on her side.

By the time Alicia came home with her suitcase trailing behind her, she sighed softly to see Sabrina and Jack fast asleep in the lounge, with cartoons blaring on the television and crayons scattered everywhere. The older woman pursed her lips and locked the door behind her, utterly exhausted from her flight home. She then stepped towards her family members and bent down to pick up the crayons, her eyes trailing towards the coffee table, where several pieces of paper sat. 

They were all of a woman in a costume, clearly having been drawn by Jack's six year-old hands. There were a couple of her fighting dinosaurs and bad people holding guns, but they all featured her nonetheless. At the top of the main drawing that was the clear centre of attention, was the word Reverie. 

"Reverie," Alicia muttered, repeating the name to herself. The woman was dressed in a bright blue jumpsuit, a leather jacket, as well as a green cape, trailing behind her. Her shoes had crescent moons on them and her mask was white like a cloud. Her hair was a mixture of brown and gold, and from her hands exuded sparkles. "Huh."

Looking back at her sister and son, Alicia smiled a little and placed the picture back down, a little too tired to assume anything in that moment. They could always converse later on, but for now, Alicia needed sleep too. She shuffled into the kitchen and got herself a block of chocolate, before entering her bedroom and collapsing on her mattress. 

★☆

hello! another short chapter heheh oops

anyway! thank you for helping me hit 4k! it's crazy how quickly this is growing??

also! some lovely people have offered to make covers for this book, and i'll be starting a graphic gallery if anyone else would like to submit anything, but until then here are the current submissions that are GORGEOUS THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH XX

Maze_is_keen

dumpedchampagne

dumpedchampagne

carpenterholland

carpenterholland

thank you so much you lovely humans!!! these are the wonderful covers!!! go chuck them all a follow xx