Outburst

"Well?..." Black Hat snarled.

Flug gulped. Here he was. Outside the bathroom door, wearing only a robe, his boss right in front of him, being confronted about a thing he didn't even break.

"S-sir.... that wasnt m-me...it was-"

"Flug, I dont care if God ascended from the heavens and broke it. Fix it. Immediately." He thrusted the device into Flugs hands.

Flug whimpered, his hands fumbling shakily with the device before grasping it firmly. "B-but sir, I-"

He was suddenly shoved hard back into the wall, his spine hitting the wooden trim, causing him to cry out in pain. Black Hat's hand slammed onto the wall, cornering Flug. He leaned in close, his menacing snarl just inches away from Flugs cowardly gaze.

"Dont argue with me, Slys." BH spat at him in somewhat disgust. Flug felt his boss' hot, sharp breath on his neck, making him shudder. "You're a pathetic excuse for a scientist. One hour till our commercial premiere and you BREAK THE DEVICE?! Ridiculous....how did I end up with an ingrate like you for a scientist?"

Flug stood there and let his boss chew him out. He was used to it by then. He stopped caring a long time ago.

But something in him bubbled up, making him angry. Maybe it was the lack of sleep making him go batshit insane. Maybe it was the smoke from the device, but something made him want to scream at his boss, made him want to grab his boss by the tie, yank him down, and really give him a piece of his mind.
Flug suddenly stood up straight.

"You know what?! How about YOU try inventing and building, huh?! Try staying up all night in fear of not finishing a project, or skipping one, even two meals because you're not finished with a device and you're afraid of your UNFAIR BOSS WHO'S SURE TO BEAT YOU UP EMOTIONALLY AND PHYSICALLY! Could YOU do that?! HUH?!" Flug snarled, eyeing daggars at BH.

But almost suddenly, he shrank back.
He had just yelled at his boss.
Black Hat, the eldritch to whom many other powerful villains had bowed before.
He had just screamed at him.
And following the shock came fear. Fear of his punishment, which he was sure would be excruciatingly painful. He winced and screwed his eyes shut, ready for whatever Black Hat was going to do to him.

BH was taken aback. Nobody had ever spoke to him in this way before.
And for some reason....he wasnt angry. He was....amused? No, that wasnt right.
But it couldn't possibly be admiration.
No, it couldn't. He was a demon. The only things he admired were the screams of his slowly dying enemies.

....right?

Nonetheless, Flug was different. And for the first time, Black Hat noticed how tired and drained the scientist looked. He stood there, watching Flug shiver in fear now.

He scratched his head.
"......well. I..." he was speechless. He didnt know how to outdo what Flug just did. Any words that he had before were gone.

"...well....arent you going to hit me? Or throw me to the floor? Or tell me how worthless I am?..." Flug muttered coldly, but still bracing for his punishment.
But the shock returned when his boss furrowed his brows in confusion and said, "....no."

Flug did a double take. "Wait.....what?"

Black Hat didnt say anything. He looked puzzled, and was staring through Flug. He turned and walked back to his office, rubbing the back of his head in confusion, leaving Flug standing against the wall.

Flug was astonished.

He checked to make sure he wasnt hallucinating, then made sure his limbs were all still attached to his body.

"....I'm....alive?" He murmured out loud.

A loud wail interrupted his thoughts, coming straight from Demencia's room.
He sighed. Right. Demencia.

Still in shock after what just happened, he ambled over to Dementia's bedroom door, took a deep breath, and knocked.

"Dementia? Can I come in?"

"NO!!! LEAVE ME ALONE, PAPER BOY!" she hissed in between sobs.

Flug sighed and shook his head. "Ohhh boy...."