Chapter 14 - Part 2

The warmth of steam swirls out of the mug in my hands. Lightly blowing across the top, its sweet smell fills my nose. Wilfrid leans into the couch watching me cradle the cup. How will I ever escape in less than a month with Wilfrid breathing down my neck? A marriage to Kalen may protect me, but Tristan is in danger. I can't keep fighting against everyone, Thaddeus has already made it clear that my behaviour needs to be corrected. Could I really pretend to be eager to meet such strangers?

"You can't be serious?" Estella paces back and forth through the room. "A formal introduction this soon, a month is no time to adjust. Look at her, she can't do this!"

Wilfrid rolls his eyes. "Don't think I didn't try. The invitations were probably sent out as soon as he saw you, or worse when Kalen informed him, like a desperate toff."

Estella groans under pressure. "Do you even know how to dance?"

Taking a light sip, the liquid runs down my throat and warms my tense muscles. "No," I chuckle bitterly. What is the point?

Estella takes my drink, placing it down and pulls me to my feet. "You asked for my help, here it is!" She smiles wickedly. "Wilfrid, up you go! 

Learn to dance for that monster? Dancing like a prized horse out for auction. I gulp. If Wilfrid doesn't believe I'm trying, then I'll never get away with any of my plotting. I need to fool him. My chest tightens uncomfortably, and Wilfrid stands before me, scratching the back of his head awkwardly.

"Palms together," Estella cries and begins clapping in a beat.

Taking a deep breath, I stare at our feet, unable to look him in the eyes. He will never forgive me for this. With each awkward stumble, I catch myself. Our dance rigid, and I bump into his chest for a final time and huff.

Wilfrid lifts his brow watching with amusement. His hand drops to my back, and he pulls me towards him. My leg shoots out with certainty, and I smile. With his suddenly intimidating step forward, I stagger back. With a gasp, I'm trapped in his gaze, sliding his arm along my hip a tingle spreads through his lingering touch. A tight grip around my hip pulls me in a small circle beside him. Our gaze never parts and then a tighter squeeze on my hip startles me. My foot lays upon Wilfrid's, and I gasp, pulling away from him.

Wilfrid tugs me back, half our chests pressing into each other's as we stand side by side. His cheek warming mine. "Not so fast," he coos. Taking a step forward, he forcefully guides me through the dance once more.

"I-"

He quickly interrupts, "One sore toe isn't going to stop me from helping you. Keep going."

~

"Up," a feminine voice cries. Stretching my arms out, I groan and roll away from the voice. "A lady shouldn't be asleep this late, I said get up," Helena hisses, and the blanket is tugged away from me. A cool breeze sends me into a fit of shivers, and I sit abruptly to find myself on the couch. Helena folds the blanket and tosses it under the bed.

When I climbed over to the couch last night, I don't recall bringing a blanket with me. Did Wilfrid come in last night? Does he sleep here? My eyes dart to the bed, but it looks unused, just a blanket absent from the top.

Helena snaps her fingers in my face, and she smirks. "Up, child."

Sluggishly, I reach out grabbing a slice of apple from the table in front of me. Chomping away, she glares at me. "I'm awake," I whine.

Helena stares at me, her eyes glossing over. "You look just like her." Catching her mistake, she turns away, wipes a hand across her face. Is she crying? She claps her hands, twirling back around with a bright smile. "You have much to learn, and sleep is a privilege."