Chapter 3

There was something still sticking out in my mind as I went about my day the next day. It was the way that Mother had stood up for me at dinner that night- going so far as to smash a glass over my father's head. I wanted to be the one to do that a long time ago. How could she even stand the man? My mother was far too full of goodness to ever leave my father. It was time to ask why she would go to such lengths to stick her neck out for me and why she chose to remain in the position she was in.

After lunch, I found my mother lounging on the front steps of the Ice Palace and reading a book. I cleared my throat to get her attention.

"Good afternoon, my son," my mother said looking up smiling. "What canst I do for thee?"

"Good afternoon, my mother. Will you walk with me in the garden for a bit?" I asked. "I have some things I would like to discuss with you."

"Of course, Llama," said she rising and shaking the wrinkles out of her dress. When we got out to the back and into the garden, she asked, "What is it that thou wishest to discuss with me?"

"Last night," I said simply. "I was impressed, if not surprised, by your actions with Father last night."

"He had it coming."

"And it made him mad. Mother, when I went to him last night he called you a lilly-livered, silly-minded woman."

"His language doth not surprise me. He was the one in all my Father's court that I least wished to marry but was one of my Father's most trusted allies. Tis ironic now that I look back on it, and tis also no surprise that my Father's last wish was for us to be married. Those were days of torment, Llama, that hath not ended. Unto this day, I hath suffered thy father's many abusive words and actions. I am only to give him the pleasure he wants when he desires it of me. Many a time didst I cry myself to sleep in the early days of our marriage. Oh, my son, if thou wishest to marry, do not do so for the sake of pleasure."

"You don't need to worry about that, Mother. I'm never going to marry. Anyway, I told him to his face that I wished him dead for the sake of the kingdom."

Mother stopped in her tracks and grabbed my arm with surprising force, "Llama! Never, no matter how much thou hates a man, wish him dead. Especially thine own father! Doing these things makes thou no better than thy father so that when the day of his death doth come, thou wilst hate thyself for wishing it upon him. Dost thou understand?"

"Yes, Mother." I said softly, my hate growing no less.

"Good," Mother said letting go of my arm. "And here is another thing my son: 't'would not surprise me if thou ever didst marry as I very well think thou wilst."

I laughed nervously. "What makes you think so?"

"Thou and thy brother gavest me reason to live. When thou wast born, a snow woman from the clan of White Foxes, which thou knowest are prophets and hath the gift of second sight, spoke this verse over thee:

A babe born to change his home

With no blood-born heir to follow.

A lineage to defeat one evil

Starting with this newborn child.

Four dignitaries yet to follow,

With one evil to defeat.

Five who stand for what is right,

Starting with this new-born child.

She then went onto say that what the 'right' things thou and thy descendants stand for will very much depend on the one who is standing. I have treasured these things all of mine days and hope to see thou and thy child fulfill it. Oh!" My mother suddenly gasped, bent forward with a hand on her abdomen, and sank down a nearby bench gritting her teeth.