Chapter Three

"So, how was your day?" Marisol asked as I continued to stir the noodles needed for the shrimp linguine she was helping me prepare.

I groaned in annoyance at the realization that Jason was going to have to come over tomorrow and help me for our project. "Good except for the fact that I have the worst project partner in history."

Marisol chuckled, "Who could possibly be as horrible as that?"

I gave her a serious look, "Jason Tyler. AKA the son of the man Mom made life hell for."

She nodded in silent agreement as the front door opened, "I'm home!"

I rolled my eyes at my mother's attempt at acting like she was an actual mom. "In the kitchen."

She came in, still in her heels, and kissed my cheek, "How was your day?"

I faked a smile, "Great. Marisol was just teaching me how to make shrimp linguine in case I ever need to make it at college."

Mom chuckled, "You know you always have a job at the company, right?"

I sighed. Mom had always dreamed of me following in her footsteps and becoming a very successful business woman like her. Sure, the benefits were a house too big for your three person family, flashy cars, and amazing outfits, but I just wanted to earn my way to greatness. I wanted to feel as though I summed up to Mom's amazing feats, even if it was just the way she dressed that won over the many men that promoted her. Don't get me wrong, she really is a great business woman, but if she didn't dress how she does, I don't think she would be as far as she is today.

"Yeah, Mom, I know. I just want to go to college and experience life away from the nest, this town."

She nodded, "Well, I am going to go take a shower and then we are having a guest over for dinner. They will be here soon and I expect you to dress appropriately and act civilised."

I nodded. That meant that I would actually have to where jeans and a nice shirt to dinner and play nice with one of her new boy toys.

Marisol tutted after Mom had left the kitchen, "It's not good for her to bring these men into your home. They could steal something or, more importantly, you."

"I know, but I can't stop her. Do you mind finishing this up while I go and change? The flavor of the week will probably be here in a little bit."

Marisol gave me a look that read 'did you really just ask that' and I left to my room to pick out a nicer outfit and shower.

After I had stepped out of the shower, I heard the loud laugh of my mother and guessed that the guest was here. I made my way downstairs as slowly as possible and nearly choked on my spit at the sight.

In the living room sat a man that I never wanted to see again. The man that left years ago and turned his back on me and Mom.

I pointed my finger at him and in a deathly low voice said, "You."

He stood up and held his arms open for me, "Don't just stand there, come give your old man a hug."

I snarled in disgust and thanked God that at that precise moment, the fake baby had decided to cry. "I have to go work on a project." I muttered before running up the stairs.

I heard my father, if you can even call him that, huff in annoyance and Mom trying to calm him down.

"She is just surprised is all, give it a few days." Mom tried reasoning.

Dad scoffed, "Because she really wants anything to do with me."

"I'll go talk to her. I'm sure if she knows how important it is to you that she gives you another chance she will." I then heard the clacking of my mother's heels on the hardwood floor as she ascended the steps.