Chapter Two

I sat out the rest of Spanish in the dugout of the visiting team. It was actually very different from the home one. The concrete floors were cracked every where and if you weren't careful you would trip and fall, the bat rack was rusty and just needed to be replaced, and the bench was vandalized beyond belief. I guess the janitor hadn't gotten around to painting over that.

I stood up with my things after I heard the bell ring and made my way inside. The first thing to happen to me after I got inside the building was my best friend and catcher, Macie, coming up to me and hugging me. Tightly. Like, so tight that I couldn't breath kind of tight.

"Macie, I love you, but I can't breathe." I struggled in her long arms, waiting for her to let go.

Macie sighed, "I try to comfort my best friend and she doesn't want to be."

I laughed and walked with her to our second hour, Child Development. I don't know why we decided it would be a good idea to take this class, it's super easy, but it gets boring after about five minutes of listening to the teacher drone on and on about how to perform CPR on a baby. Seriously, the teacher has us perform it on a dummy in class. The worst part about it though is that Jason is in that class, along with all of my other classes.

Macie and I walk into class, chatting about tryouts and which freshmans we think will make it, when someone taps my shoulder. I turn around and see Jason smirking at me. I just flip my hair in his face and continue to my seat with Macie.

Jason looks a little agitated that I would do something like that to him. I mean, seriously? The dude has bullied me for years, he even took it as far as pushing me into the lockers hard. All of his friends told him off about how it wasn't cool, but he just blew them off and went on with his day. I don't have a problem with his friends, well maybe Kyle, but only because he will openly try to convince people that I have slept with him and every guy on the team repeatedly. Other than that, he is a pretty nice guy.

"Looks like the little slut has found her backbone. Tell me, did your dad take it?" Jason said, smiling sweetly at me.

I rolled my eyes at the attempt of an insult, "For your information, I have always had a backbone, I just don't want to talk to that barely understand English."

Carter snickered as he took his seat a row behind me. Macie turned around and started to talk to him after Jason had walked away, leaving me to think about why Jason has suddenly started to treat worse than before, if that were even possible.

The bell rang, jolting me from my thoughts, and the teacher walked in with a box. Everyone eyed the box wearily and waited for the teacher to explain.

He clapped his hands together, "Today, we are going to start an new project. Specifically, a group project that I think many of you will enjoy and easily get an 'A' on."

He opened up the box and pulled out a baby doll. You know, the ones that have the really creepy eyes that close when you lay it down and the mouths that are always in an 'O' shape? That was the kind of doll he was holding up. It was dressed in a pink onesie and a pink hat, signaling that it is a 'girl'.

"You and your partner, that I will choose, are going to have to take care of a baby. That includes waking up in the middle of the night to feed them and change their diapers. It shouldn't go off during school, but when it cries, you are to get it to stop as soon as possible."

I sighed and slumped down into my seat. I already knew that Macie and I were going to pair up and we were going to get an 'A' on this assignment. 

"Now, if you think that you will  work with the person you already have in mind, you are either a mind reader or a really good guesser because I have already picked out your partners."