Friends don't hit each other with chocolate bars.

Start from the beginning

Near and I peek out into the hallway.

There's no sign of Mello, so we step out of the room.

"Is he gone?" I whisper.

Near listens.

Suddenly Mello bursts out of a room and uses a tennis racket to hit chocolate bars at us.

I scream.

Near hides behind me.

A bar hits me in the face.

Mello stops playing tennis with his chocolate.

"MELLO YOU BAD LITTLE BOY HOW DARE YOU HIT CHOCOLATE BARS IN MY BEAUTIFUL FACE?"

Mello laUghs.

"THIS IS NOT A JOKE!"

Near crawls out from behind me. "Why do you put so many unnecessary words in your sentences?" he asks.

"Uhhh..." I fail to respond.

Mello scowls venomously at Near.

I sigh. "What is it this time?"

"Ok, so," Mello begins to recount the story of how he resulted in hitting chocolate bars with a tennis racket; "Near said that he wasn't bored, and I didn't believe him, so I took all of his toys away and locked him in the bathroom..."

I already have many issues with this.

"So, Near was locked in the bathroom for about two hours but then he escaped by sawing the lock off with a toothbrush!"

What.

"So I had to chase him because he wasn't being fair! He was meant to stay in the bathroom for three days so that he would finally admit that he was bored," Mello explains.

"And the chocolate?" I press.

"Oh, I couldn't catch him because Near can be surprisingly fast when he's terrified so I found a tennis racket under the sofa and thought I could whack him with it."

Ummm...

"But it wouldn't reach because he kept ducking, so I decided to use it to hit things. I managed to hit him with a bar of soap, but then he took refuge in the room where L was doing the surveillance and used you as a human shield."

Ok.

That makes perfect sense.

"Mello, are you feeling alright?" I ask the blonde, now extremely concerned.

"I AM NOT CRAZY! THAT'S WHAT HE SAID," he jabs a finger at Near, "BUT I HATE WHAT HE SAYS!"

Near pouts childishly. "You are crazy."

Mello turns blue.

oH.

I leave Near on his own and try to calm Mello down. "You're not crazy! I promise, but I think you need some milk."

"Chocolate has milk in it," hisses Mello.

I nod. "Indeed it does."

But maybe the chocolate is what makes him crazy...

Near walks over cautiously and picks up a chocolate bar from the floor.

Mello is growling under my grip.

The boy passes Mello the chocolate with minor hesitation.

Mello blinks stupidly.

"So, are you friends again?" I ask hopefully.