Prologue

"Do you understand?"

"Yes, I understand."

The girl's thick Russian accent made it difficult for Pulitzer to understand her, but he was still somewhat able to make out what she was saying.

"Good. When the job is done, you'll be paid well. If the job isn't done..."

His words hung heavy in the air, and she swallowed nervously. If she didn't make this guy 'disappear', as Pulitzer had put it, he'd tell the police everything, and they would call the Russian police, and they would go after her family. In addition to that, they'd be waiting for her at the docks, as soon as she got off the ship in St. Petersburg.

"Yes, sir."

"Don't mess this up. Do you think you're capable of that?"

She nodded.

"I'm not an idiot, Pulitzer. I've made many deaths look accidental. Just like those, no one will have any clue I had any hand in this, and even if I am discovered, no one will be able to trace me back to you. Stop worrying."

Pulitzer eyed her angrily.

"Don't think you'll be getting anything else out of me, though. This is my last job. Period. I came here to get away from this life, I won't let you drag me back into it."

"I couldn't care less what you do after this. Just get out of here, and don't return until he has disappeared."

She sighed, rolled her eyes, and left him.