Chapter 9

(A/N): Sorry for taking so long to update this. This term at school has been kicking my ass.
Also, I didn't put near as much in this chapter as I had wanted, but if I didn't end it where I did, it would have droned on for another good 1200 words, making it a monster. Whoops.
Anyway, have some of Bakugo's emotional baggage.

Early the following morning, Natsu's team had packed up camp, and were starting to look for any clues that would lead them in the direction of their friends. It wasn't as hard as Bakugo thought it would be though. Apparently Dragon Slayer's had super scent. All three of the Dragon Slayers seemed to have a solid lead well within thirty minutes of searching, though Bakugo wasn't paying much attention. He was sore, exhausted, and irritated that it had been about a week and nobody had come looking for them. Not that he disliked the wizards, he just hated people in general, and was not in the mood to deal with anybody today, which is precisely why he was irritated that he was stuck in a forest with three acquaintances and that stupid half-and-half bastard.
Natsu assumed the explosive blond was just exhausted, and scared for the state of his other friends. That's the best explanation he could come up with that would explain why he had just watched a tree blow up on his left.
"Dude, what is your problem?" Natsu asked. He didn't mean it to come out as rude as it probably had. This was confirmed when Bakugo snarled in his direction.
"Shut the fuck up, pink freak."
"Bakugo, you need to calm down. They have done nothing but be accommodating towards us." Todoroki stepped between Bakugo and Natsu.
"Tch, whatever IcyHot." He stomped ahead of the group, not realizing until it was too late that he actually had no idea where they were headed. He'd be damned if he fell back to the group now though. He couldn't show them that he had made a mistake in his judgement. Luckily, he was almost immediately joined by another presence. He didn't even have to glance up to know that Wendy had fallen in step beside him. He was silently grateful because he knew he wouldn't accidentally blow her up, and also because she could lead him without him having to admit he didn't know the way. They were quiet for a few moments, until Wendy and Bakugo were far enough ahead that she could speak to him without the other's hearing.
"Hey, Kacchan-"
"Where the hell did get that name from?" His voice was quiet, but the question was sharp on his tongue.
"Oh, um... I heard Midoriya call you that, and he seems the closest to you? In a weird way? Is that not... I'm sorry...I can just not call you-"
"'S fine. You...ah. Yeah, you can call me that."
"Oh, um, alright... Anyway, are you okay? Did something happen overnight? Did you and your friend fight? Are you mad at me for falling asleep on you? I know that was rude, I'm so sorry! Please let me know how I can help..." Wendy watched as Bakugo's brows furrowed.
"Hah? I'm not mad at you, half-pint. This week has just been...complete fuckery. I'm not used to having to actually socialize and cooperate to this extent. It's emotionally draining." He shrugged, as the corner of his mouth twitched down in a slight frown.
Suddenly, Natsu let out a shout, "HEY, FOLLOW ME." Then he took off running.
"Fucking really?" Bakugo retorted, but the others followed, close on Natsu's heels. They finally broke out into a small clearing in the trees, only to see a campsite that looked similar to the one they had torn down a mere hour ago.
"Lazy fucks haven't even tried to wake up to find us yet." Todoroki rolled his eyes at Bakugo's remark, but left it. He knew it was the blond's way of showing relief at the fact that they had found their friends.
Their relief was short-lived, however, when within an instance, Bakugo had a blade at his throat.
"WHO DARE- Oh, hello. I apologize. I was trying to take precaution. We have too many exhausted and severely injured for me to have risked an attack." Erza withdrew her sword, which Bakugo had instinctively grabbed, ready to blow to smithereens. Unfortunately for him, he had instinctively grabbed it by the blade, so he now had a hefty slice up the palm of his hand, dripping red with fresh blood.
"Fuck." Was all he offered as a response, looking at his hand like it was more of an inconvenience than anything. At this point, most of their friends had joined them, emerging from their tents. Bakugo noticed that Midoriya was not among those that came out to greet them, however.
"Where the fuck is Deku, Shitty Hair?" Kirishima grimaced, though he didn't think it was from the nickname.
"Midoriya's not doin' too hot, Bakubro. Recovery Girl isn't here, and he went too far yesterday. Every bone in his body is broken, and all of his muscles are strained and bruised. It's... it's not a pretty sight. He has a fever, and is delirious with pain. Gray tried to cool him down, but his ice works differently than Todoroki's. It's not working too well..."
Before Bakugo could respond, he saw tears swell up in Wendy's eyes, "I'm so sorry! I should have been here to heal him!" She sprinted towards the tent that remained zipped, though Bakugo tried to stop her.
"Wendy! It's..it's going to be grotesque and you shouldn't have to see something like th-" He couldn't stop her before she ripped the tent open.
Bakugo watched as she froze in her tracks. He hesitantly walked up behind her, taking in the sight before him.
Deku was laid out on a sleeping bag. The sleeping bag had been frozen, but the boy was soaked with sweat. He was pale in the face, and would probably be pale everywhere else if it weren't for the bruising.
And man, the bruising was horrendous. His skin almost didn't even look like skin anymore due to how deformed and swollen his limbs and muscles were. The sight was almost too much for Bakugo, so he could only imagine how Wendy must be feeling.
He heard the dragon slayer gulp softly, then made her way to kneel next to his childhood friend. He followed, kneeling down beside her, and that's when he noticed the quiet mumbling.
"I'll be fine, just leave me. Obviously I wasn't meant to have a quirk, and now I have one that causes pain for myself and others and oh God, I just realized my mom doesn't know where I'm at. I was born quirkless so why am I trying to use one of the best quirks in the world? it's like somebody is playing a sick joke on me. I should have jumped when Kacchan told me to jump and then nobody would be burdened by me..."
Bakugo felt his chest tighten, as all the air was sucked out of him. He glanced at Wendy, whose eyes had gone wide. She didn't look at him or say anything, but he knew she had heard. And no matter how you interpreted it, it sounded bad. It was bad. That had been a low point for Bakugo. He hadn't meant it when he had said it, but it had slipped out. He didn't know the nerd had actually considered it.
He watched as Wendy splayed her fingers out over Deku's chest, muttering an enchantment. He watched as her hands glowed slightly. Her eyes were closed, and her face was scrunched in concentration. After about twenty minutes, Wendy suddenly slumped forwards, Bakugo barely catching her before she hit her face on the ground.
"It'll take a while, but he'll be fine..." She mumbled, too exhausted to even open her eyes.
Bakugo sat there next to Midoriya and holding Wendy in his arms for a good while before any of the rest of the group came in to check on them. When somebody did come, it was Kirishima.
When he walked into the tent, Kirishima was met with the sight of a broken Midoriya, who was slightly less feverish than before, and a passed out Wendy.
He was also met with the sight of an uncharacteristically emotional Bakugo, who had tear stains on his otherwise deadpan face.