Chapter Five

My eyes widened, and I nearly dropped my backpack, but I managed to get it in my locker and shut my locker door. "W-what did you s-say?"

Great. Just great! There goes the stuttering again. I had been stuttering for almost a year now, and it is not getting any better.

Ms. Dia had white, short hair and pale skin. She was wearing black glasses, a black, long-sleeved shirt, and a black skirt that reached to her knees. There were also black heels on her feet. She giggled, and I narrowed my eyebrows at her and pouted. She noticed and giggled even more.

"What a cute face," she commented.

"Are you laughing at me?" I questioned her in a voice that could not be taken seriously. "Are you laughing at me because I stuttered?"

Her smile disappeared, and she shook her head. "Of course not. I just like everything about you. Your face. Your tone. And I have not gotten to know you yet, but I can already tell that you will be a blast to be in my class. You are such a blessing."

"Why do you want Jorgie to be in your drama club?" Jorga asked as she gathered my belongings and scooped them up.

"I was told by her teachers and some of the other teachers who know both of you well that you, Jorgie, have a desire to be an actress. You have watched and studied plenty of shows and movies and feel that you are an expert at this point."

"I am!" I insisted. "I practice each day."

Jorga patted the top of my head. "I can agree with her on that. She knows how to project her voice while speaking clearly. Trust me. I hear her screaming every night before we go to bed. Is it annoying? For me, yes. But it makes her happy, and she loves being someone that is not her."

I played with my fingers and kept my eyes on the lady. "Our parents think that I am worthless because I have a rare disorder called Tenomeya."

The teacher's face saddened. "You poor dear."

"My sister is an awesome and unique person," Jorga stated, wanting me to think on the positives and not the negatives. "Our parents are garbage that should be off the face of this earth."

Ms. Dia blinked a couple of times. "What strong language."

I gently grabbed the woman's hand and tugged on it. "My smart sister is right. Mom and Dad are horrible to us and do not love anyone but themselves."

"You poor things. You two should definitely join my class. I promise that you will not regret it and that you will belong. I can even be the loving mother that you both deserve."

I jumped up and down as if I had eaten a lot of sugar that morning and raised my arms in the air. "Me! I would be great and even lead the class!"

My sister laughed and gave me a pat on my back. "Silly girl." She loves to see me excited and happy.

"Excellent," Ms. Dia said. "Please follow me." She turned and started walking away.

I was about to say something, but Jorga took the words right out of my mouth.

"Right now?"

"Yes." She stopped in her tracks and turned back to us. "Is that a problem?"

"Actually, yes. We have classes to attend to, and I thought that auditions would be held during lunch or after school."

"There was a meeting before the school opened to the children this morning. The principal said that due to some changes that are unknown to me, auditions must be held as of right now and end no more than an hour." Clonk, clonk, clonk! went her heels hitting the floor as she walked back to us and poked my nose with the end of her finger. "I really want to give you a chance, Jorgie. And I already talked to your teacher. Please come. There probably will not be another opportunity like this ever again."

The new teacher was correct about that. I had - and still do - an incredible passion for being in the acting business. This new drama club could be great for practicing even further and a step closer to achieving my dream.

How could I decline such an offer?

"I am in!" I exclaimed excitedly. "I am going to audition!" I faced my sister, and a squeal escaped from my mouth. "You are coming too! Right, sis?"

A long whoosh of air escaped from her own mouth. "I really should not..." She immediately saw the sad face that I had and rolled her eyes. "...but what the heck? I need to see my own sister's audition. Just let me take your things to your teacher and inform mine that I will be in the drama room. I will meet you there. Be right back." She waved and hurried off.

"Alright. Let us head off," Ms. Dia said as she took my hand and led me down the hall. The way that Jorga and I had come from. We turned a corner and entered through double doors that were open.

We found ourselves in a dim room, and I was not surprised about that because drama rooms are supposed to be dim. There were rows after rows of chairs that people who were seeing a show would sit in. Ms. Dia led me to the end of the room. The room was huge, and we were now standing by the stage. Lights from the ceiling casted down on the stage, and I saw kids around and above my age standing on the stage. A few were holding pieces of paper.

"Kids," Ms. Dia called to them. "This is Jorgie. Please make her feel welcome."

Almost all of the children glanced at me and snickered. Only one had the guts to smile at me.

"Hello," he said. "My name is Calvin Hum."