fifty five

Courtney's POV~

I wake from a nightmare to a sweaty bed. I gulp as I take a fistful of the damp sheet.

It was about Charlotte. I felt like a helpless little kid again; back to the days when I didn't have real parents. She tried to force me to do the things she was doing, every drug in every way.

My whole life I've been so afraid that I'd turn out the way she did, and I guess that's what it was about. I'm terrified of becoming my mother. It scares me more than anything else in this world. But it looks like she turned out just fine, so what do I have to lose?

I look over at the clock that reads 3:04 AM and sigh. There's no way I'm going back to sleep. I get up and go to the kitchen, deciding that food always helps. I pour a bowl of cereal and chew as quietly as I can.

I freeze up when someone comes walking down the hall. Sometimes I forget I'm not alone anymore.

"Nina? What are you doing up?" She shrugs, grabbing her own bowl.

"I couldn't sleep. You?" I nod, signaling to her that we're not so different. "You know, I used to hate you." She chuckles and shakes her head like it's not offensive.

"Okay." She senses my standoff tone.

"Let me finish. I used to hate you for really no reason at all. I guess I was a bit jealous of you." I turn my head to the side?

"Why?"

"Because it seemed like you had it all. The friends, the looks, the wit. Even your work ethic drove me crazy. I could sit at that desk for hours and you could screw off for the same amount of time and still do better than me. It didn't seem fair, so I was a terrible person."

"You weren't personally terrible to me that often, just a brown-noser." She laughs, nodding her head.

"I wanted to be better than you at something." It's weird to sit here laughing with someone you thought you couldn't stand.

"You were definitely good at it." We laugh and she finishes what's in her bowl. She puts it in the sink and walks away.

"You're not so bad, Covington." I shake my head and walk to my room shortly after she goes back to Connors. With an eased mind, I finally sleep. No nightmares.

-

I stretch my arms above my head, shocked to see the time now read 1:37 PM. I take a deep breath and roll over, reaching for my phone. I squint my eyes as the screen lights up to show that I have a couple missed calls from Connor.

I curl up in the blankets and lay the phone on the side of my face.

"Did you just wake up?"

"Maybe." He laughs.

"God, you're lazy."

"Shut up. You're the one who called me."

"I called to tell you that I'm gonna be out for a while. I also wanted to know if you wanted to meet me at that really fancy restaurant we talk about all the time? Let's say 5?" I sit up, frowning.

"You know how expensive that place is right? Every time we talk about it, we're talking about how expensive it is."

"I got it covered. Don't worry about it. Just meet me there at five, I have a reservation." He hangs up the phone abruptly and I flip the covers. I stand up and throw my phone on the bed, still confused.

Why wouldn't he book a reservation for him and Nina? Especially if it's for one of the fanciest restaurants in the city. Seems like a perfect date if he has the money, but I guess if he wants to go, I'm not gonna argue with him.