Dancing with the Devil- PT 1

Beatrice- Trixie

13 October, 1895

Beatrice Mattel gazed intently at the twirling ballerina on her nightstand, watching her spin, over and over and over again, the melancholy music matching perfectly to her twirls. "Beatrice darling, time for bed" she glanced up at her mother, standing in the doorway with a sweet smile upon her face, Beatrice moved quickly, pushing the soft toys off her bed and pulling the covers back, shuffling under them, and leaning back on the soft pink pillows to look at her mother, who had made her way to sit at the foot of her bed. "I see you've been listening to your music box" her mother said, looking at the spinning ballerina, poised on one foot, arms raised above her head, golden curls falling down her back. Beatrice nodded. "That music box has been in our family for over 600 years, every lady before you, before me, has had that music box. Going right back to Lady Elizabeth Mattel, one of the greatest women in our family" her mother said thoughtfully, no doubt thinking of her own time with the music box. She turned to her eight year old daughter, the spitting image of herself, tucked in the soft pink covers, and thought of the story her own mother had told her of the music box. "Do you know the story of the Mattel music box Beatrice?" Beatrice shook her head rapidly, causing Lady Christiane to smile again. "It is said, that any Mattel lady, who possess the box, will have the most wonderful love story of all, so, we must always pass it on to our eldest daughter, to grant her good fortune" Beatrice's eyes were wide, looking up at her mother, eyes asking her a million questions, that she was too tired to voice. "Now, time for sleep Beatrice" leaning over, she kisses her tired daughter's forehead, blows out the candle beside her bed, then rises. With great care, she closes the music box, silence falling over the room, with one last look at her daughter, she closes the door.

6 June, 1906

"Beatrice, you must wake up, your parents are beginning to wonder where you are" a gentle shaking of her shoulders pulled her from sleep, Beatrice opened her eyes, looking up at the face above her "How long until breakfast?" Beatrice asked, sitting up to look at her Lady's Maid. "20 minutes Beatrice" she stood with a groan, frowning at the light peeking through the blinds "Find me a dress Adore, I must wake myself fully" she called over her shoulder, soon entering the bathroom, "Never!" Adore yelled with a chuckle, knowing Beatrice didn't mind. "Alright then!" She yelled back.

After dressing for the day, Beatrice hurried downstairs to the dining room, still half asleep and thinking only of her bed. She nodded to the hall boy as he opened the door for her, bursting in on her parents quiet discussion, "Ah, Beatrice dear, sit" her father said, indicating to the seat on his left, with a nod, she sat, looking over the table at her mother, who had an amused smile on her face. "Beatrice, will there ever be a day where you are not late for breakfast?" her mother asked with a teasing tone, "Not likely mother" she replied, looking to the footman, who moved to pour her tea,"Salmon or herring my lady?" he asked as he poured, and she pondered for a moment, "Salmon thank you Bernard" she said with a grin, and with a quick nod, he disappeared. "Beatrice, we will be expecting a visitor for a few months, and she will be arriving tomorrow" her father said offhandedly, taking a bite of his fish, while his daughter nearly spat tea across the table. "Why do I find out about these matters mere moments before they happen?" she sighed, nodding to the footman as her dish was placed before her. "Well, I have been writing to her father and she has been sent to Italy for some shopping, then she is to come here, she needs foreign connections for her father's business, and who better than a young lady her own age?" he stated and his wife was quick to agree, "Your father is right Beatrice, we could also use the connections, you know that" she said honestly, and Beatrice nodded, of course she could be of assistance to her father, but perhaps she could make a friend, she only really had Adore, and her cat, and half of the servants, but they didn't count, they were just servants after all. "Well who is she?" she asked, curious as to who this young woman was, after all, she would be living at their estate for a few months. "Her name is Yekaterina, and her father runs an important business in Russia, their family is extremely powerful, word is that she is very intelligent and close to taking over the family business at your age Beatrice, 19!" she took a bite of the salmon, chewing quietly, "Impressive, I look forward to meeting her" she said, which, at this point, was only half a lie. Now Yekaterina sounded like a model child, and less like a possible friend, which threatened Beatrice, she was supposed to be the perfect daughter, the whole city seemed to think she was.