t h i r t e e n

❝when he's on the court, it feels like neither side can breathe properly without his permission. he rules above all in the court. ❞

m/n decided walk home with the karasuno boys once again. so he followed hinata towards wherever he was going and he gasped as hinata slid on the floor over to yachi yelling, "YAAACHIII-SAN, are you gonna be our manager?"

m/n watched as yachi nervously scratched the back of her head, "uh, um..."

"you will, right?!" hinata exclaimed, moving closer to yachi.

"HEY! first-year-girl, HEY!" tanaka and nishinoya said in unison, nishinoya continued, "we hope that you will join the karasuno high school volleyball team." 

"huh?" yachi gasped.

tanaka took over, "when you're around, kiyoko-san talks a lot." 

"oh god..." m/n muttered to himself as he saw daichi hit them over the head angrily.

"what kind of an invitation is that, you idiots?!" daichi exclaimed, suga standing aside him.

"sorry these guys are so stupid." suga apologised, dead inside.

"no, not at all." yachi shook her head, trying to reassure suga, "um, i'm flattered. i've never tried to do something on my own, or had anyone need me for anything... even in drama club, i've only been an extra. like towns-person b or a tree. so when shimizu-senpai worked so hard to recruit a towns-person b, like me, who has no experience or knowledge of volleyball, i was really happy. but i'm sure im not much-" yachi's sweet speech was cut off by tanaka who seemed to be in a dream world.

"i totally get how you feel. even if kiyoko-san said 'i'm going to steal money from you, so follow me.' i'd still follow her." tanaka raised his fist, clearly dreaming.

m/n walked over to yachi as the boys listened to tanaka and nishinoyas fantasies.

"um, i think that's a bit different..." she mumbled.

"they're exciting people, right?" m/n watched them bantering.

"y-yeah!" yachi chirped in as asahi and daichi walked past them.

"looks like tanaka's saying something again."  asahi chuckled as he walked.

"OH! that reminds me..." hinata reached his hand into his bag to pull out his phone, holding it up to a chat.

nishinoya and tanaka scooted in, staring at the message. m/n stood in between the gap they left in the middle, reading it 'from: kozume kenma, subject: none, 'we made it through the first round. this week is round two of prelims.''. m/n held his hand to his chin as he tried to remember the name 'kozume kenma', but failed to and gave up on it.

"OOOH! damn! nekoma's' so awesome! i'm getting fired up!" nishinoya yelled as hinata and tanaka screamed along with him.

'nekoma...?' m/n was going to question it, but stopped as he saw hitoka's eyes urging him to come over to her.

"i remembered i've gotta ask you about something, can we go?" yachi mumbled, pulling m/n with her. m/n looked back at the group dallying around and sighed, "yeah sure, let's go."

as they exited the school, yachi sighed. m/n looked at her in concern. 

"i overheard the coach and the sensei, apparently the bus they were going to take was booked by another school and they don't have enough money to safely to hire another bus... i was wondering if you could pay but also leave a bit so i can make posters to help raise money..." she mumbled, m/n barely catching her words.

"heck yeah i'll pay, you know i've got too much money for my own good, hitoka." m/n laughed as he thought about his bank accounts, all over six figures. [six figures i was only four]

m/n was about to talk again, but stopped as he felt yachi's arms around his back. he softly smiled as he ruffed up her hair, making her let go.

"come on, i've gotta walk you home, plus i'll get to see your mom this way." m/n smiled at yachi before continuing to walk, making her walk faster to catch up.

they walked to yachi's house, catching up on whatever they missed.

when yachi and m/n arrived at yachi's house, her mother wasn't there. so m/n stayed for ten minutes and left to his own house.

even if his house was bigger than yachi's, it definitely felt less homelike. he missed yachi's house and the familiar feeling it held. his house had nothing like that. he hated it.

and another night passed, transitioning into day. in the darkness of the early hours, m/n rose and played out his morning routine, and when he finished that, he left his house, walking to school.

in school, nothing changed. he'd always be doing something ahead of the class. it wasn't hard for him, though it was boring. he felt out of place and singled out, although that was what he asked for in the beginning of his time at karasuno, the more he watched the volleyball club boys, the more he realised that he needed to be able to emerge himself with other people. that was something they could do, and he could not. 

time flies whether or not you're having fun, so time flew by throughout the school day and m/n found himself in the gym with the karasuno boys, in the gym uniform.

"ouginishi will arrive in four and a half hours." kiyoko announced as she stepped into the gym.

"Right!" the boys yelled back.

the boys and the two managers began setting things up, the chairs, score board and benches.

m/n from slightly further away heard hinata yell to himself and to yachi, "i'm not gonna lose today!" after slapping himself.

he waited for yachi to finish her conversation with hinata before m/n interrupted them.

just as m/n was going to look away, hinata had the look on his face that m/n craved to view more often. the crazed, passionate and intense glare with his blunt words. in that state, hinata was pure emotion. m/n loved it.

he watched as kageyama and tsukishima ended up joining into the conversation. after it ended with kageyama walking away, m/n walked up to hinata.

"hinata, can i talk to you?" m/n asked, smiling as he looked down at hinata.

"o-oK!" hinata yelled as they walked further away from yachi.

"you won't lose, sunshine. you've gotten a lot better at everything. plus, do you really think i'll let you lose?" m/n watched as hinata gulped, "i'll be sure to punish you for the loss." he whispered the last part, hinata's face burning up.

"OOOOO-OOOOOOOOKKK!!!!" hinata screamed as he bowed, aggressively running away.

and suddenly, a shout, "thank you for having us!".

everyone lined up to face the ouginishi members and bowed in sync.

"let's play!"