𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

August 12, 1965

~~
Molly

I was woken up by a bright light, shining in my face. My ears were ringing, and at least ten doctors were huddled over me. I had an oxygen mask on, and I couldn't feel my body from the waist down.

The top half of my body was aching, and it felt as if I had been stabbed a million times. My entire body was trembling. Then I remembered.

My eyes start to water. I try not to think about what had happened.
"She's awake." A nurse tells the doctor.
The doctor rushes over, and removes my mask.
"Hi, I'm Dr. Malore. Do you remember anything that happened?" He asks.

I could still feel the spot on my arm where Bob grabbed me, and my legs had lost all feeling. I want Soda, or Darry, or anyone, to be here. I needed Mama and Daddy more than anything right now.

I shake my head no. I didn't want to remember.

The doctors continue to run tests on me, and ask me questions, but it was all a blur.

Hours had gone by, and the doctors finish running tests. I don't remember much of it though. I must have fallen asleep half way through it.

I feel so weak. I should have listened. I should have went with someone. I somehow manage to drift asleep, despite all of the worries I have, circling around in my mind.

I smile as the door opens, because the were here! My boys were here! I'd missed them so much.

Soda was sitting on the edge of my bed, rubbing my arm. I just wanted to get up, and hug him as tight as I could, but I can't. I'm in too much pain. The doctor said I can't move my legs now anyways.

Pony just stormed out of the room, and no one looked happy. Not even the sky was happy. It was raining, hard, and the dusky clouds crowed the window.

Soda told me something, but I can't remember what it was. I look up to my left. Dally was stroking my hair. That usually made me happy, or at least calm, but it wasn't working this time.

I still felt awful. Soda kissed me on the head, and ran out of the room. Two and Steve give me little presents, and I try to smile, but all the barbies and teddy-bears in the world can't stop me from feeling the way I do right now.

Soda comes back with Pony about five minutes later. They had both been crying. Pony walks over to me and pulls me closer to him. It hurts a lot, but I don't mind cuz I knew he didn't mean to. He missed me just as much as I missed him.

They all try to change the subject, and make me laugh. I know that none of them are happy. They put on fake smiles, and try to cheer me up, but deep down I know that everyone of them were hurting so bad. I felt guilty.

Deep down I knew it was my fault. I shouldn't have been walking by myself. What was I thinking?

I felt my face go white.
"I think I'm gonna be sick." I mutter, closing my eyes.
Soda rushes over and carries me to the tiny bathroom inside my hospital room. That was the first time I had sat up in forever. I felt dizzy.

He takes me to the bathroom, and holds my hair back. It reminded me of when Two-Bit and I went on this new ride at the State Fair, and he got sick. I started to laugh, but it even hurt to do that.

I sit on the floor of the bathroom, and sigh.
"I don't want to do this anymore." My voice fades.
He pulls me close to his chest. He didn't say anything. He just held me.
"I know, honey."
"I'm sorry, for putting you through this." I whisper.
"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It never was." He tells me.
Then I just laid in my big brother's arms on the bathroom floor.

I still didn't want to do this. I don't want to live.

Soda wipes away my tears, trying not to touch the bandage on my cheek.

He carries me back to my bed gingerly, and sits down next to Steve.
"You okay?" Pony asks, pushing my hair behind my ear.
Darry held onto my hand.
"I'm fine." I lie, forcing a grin.

Dally had gone outside to cool off and have a cigarette. Both Soda and I hate cigarettes, but I hate em' more, considering Soda smokes once in a while, whenever he's stressed. I try to convince him not to, and he says he'll quit, but he never does.

Dally comes back to the room, and sits down in the chair next to my bed.

The whole room is filled with an ocean of fake grins, because none of them wanna scare me. I don't really mind. I know I'm gonna die. I know that my time was up, so I too put on a fake smile, and cherish the last moments I had with my family.

The nurse opens the door, and says something about running more tests on me. Everyone gets up. Everyone but Dally.
"You're gonna get through this, kid." He reassures.
My eyes widened
"I'm serious. Don't give up."
"I'm tryin' Dal." I exhale.
"Don't let me down." He side smiles.

He walks out of the room. I was silently wishing I had said "I won't", but I didn't want to make any promises right now. I didn't want to break any.

The nurse does a little check-up on me. She doesn't say much of anything, but she looks worried.
"..The doctor will see you shortly." She hesitates, and hurries out of the room.

Sodapop's p.o.v.

A nurse came into the waiting room where we were all sitting. She approaches me.
"She's been asking for you." She assures.
She walks me to Molly's room and opens the door.

Molly was awake, and even smiling a little when she saw me. I sit on the edge of her bed. I grab onto her hand, as our eyes met.
"Soda?" She says in a soft voice, her eyebrows slightly pointed downwards.
"What's up, Molls?"
"I'm gonna miss you, when I go to Heaven. I'm gonna miss you a lot." She whispers.

I completely froze up.
"Molly.." I mutter, as my hands were shaking.
"Don't ever think you're gonna lose me, baby. You're gonna get through this, okay?"

I look her straight in the eye.
"I'm dying, Soda." She mumbles.
"Don't say that!"
"You're not gonna die! We all love you too much for you to go away." I rub her cheek.
"It's not your time. There's still so much to live for." I reassure.

I stay with her for a little while longer, 'til she drifted asleep. I didn't wanna bother her or anything, so I give her a kiss on the head, and went back to the lobby.

I don't know how much more I can take of this. My baby sister wanted to die, at eleven years old, she wanted to end her suffering. She was too young. Too young to be beaten by a war she didn't start or choose to fight in.

A rush of anger came over my body. I wanted to kill Bob. He deserves it. He deserves to feel as much pain as Johnny felt, when he was beaten to a pulp, and left for dead, and he deserves to feel the way Molly feels; violated, and alone.

He was a criminal, and he got away with it. But this time would be different. This time, it would be his turn to suffer, and it was his turn to feel the pain.