𝐭𝐰𝐨

There was a knock at the door.
"I'll get it!" I shouted.
I raced Soda to the door, they way we always do, and he made it there before me. He swung the door open, and there was Dallas.
I was surprised; Dally never knocks.
"What's goin' on, man?" He playfully punched Soda on the arm.
"Hey, Dal." I said. He smirked down at me before lifting me up into a hug.

"What, ya missed me or somethin'?" He joked, flashing me one of his notorious smirks.
"Yes!" I said, only hugging him tighter.
"Ah, jeez, I couldn't tell."

Dally's the toughest guy I know. He doesn't always act like it but he's a sweetheart for sure. Well, not for sure, but maybe! He kinda reminds me of Darry sometimes, the way he's on my case about eating or getting enough sleep once in a while. We fight and bicker like we're brother and sister, we basically are. He'll tease me for being tiny but I'll tease him right back for being so pale, or for the way he says "man" so often. What's with that?! Darry says I've got him wrapped around my little finger, and I do. He's my best friend.

"You were out like a light when I dropped by last night,"
We were sitting on the couch, Dally and I. His arm was posted up on the couch while he smoked a cigarette.

"Sleepin' like a baby." He shook his head, smiling a little as he took a drag from his cigarette.
"She is a baby!" Sodapop hollered from the kitchen.
I shot Soda a look as the screen door swung open with a creak. I had gotten used to being called a baby all the time, even though I was eleven.

Steve walked in the house, smiling about God only knows what. Steve was Soda's best friend. I love Steve with my whole heart. He and I were always getting into some kind of trouble together. Weather it's pranking Pony, and Two-Bit and Dallas, or (don't tell Darry) teaching me how to drive, we always had the most of fun. And just for the record, for someone who can't reach the gas pedals by herself, I'm a pretty darn good driver.

He and Soda did their special hand shake, the one they made up in the second grade, and he came over to me.
Dally pulled me closer to him, his hand on the side of my head.
"Get outta here." He said to Steve playfully, jerking his head up.

Steve chuckled as he tussled my hair before he went off to go bother Darry.
"See, kid, I got your back." Dally whispers.
"I'm always gonna keep you safe from the tickle monster." He jokes.
"I hate you." I tried to hide my smile.
He laughs along. Dallas' favorite thing to do was to mess with me, but I got just as much of a kick out of it as he did.

I looked up at Dally. He was looking down at me, smiling. His eyes were dark and warm, the sunlight beaming through the window and hugging the right side of his face. I could see the blond on the tips of his eyelashes. He could make your heart melt, that boy. And he had no idea. Soda or Darry always knew when they made a person's heart smile, Dally didn't. He didn't think it was possible.
"You know," he smirks,
"You're like the little sister I never had."
"You know," I said mimicking him, "you're like the... fourth brother I never had." I beam.
"Actually fifth. 'Cuz Steve."
That made him laugh. I don't know why. It was true! Steve had been around since before I was even born. He said he remembers holding me for the first time, when I was only a week old. I always thought that was real sweet.

I sat next to Soda at the kitchen table. I rested my head in my arms when my eyes caught a glimpse of the sunflowers in a Pepsi-bottle vase, and next to it a framed photo of me, my brothers, and Mama and Daddy. I remembered taking that photo in the backyard. The summer of '58. Mama's arms were around Sodapop and Ponyboy, while Darry was standing next to Daddy, carrying four-year-old me.

Daddy was my hero, and Mama was my best friend. Mama was beautiful. I used to lay on my stomach on her bed, watching her in awe as she would getting ready to go somewhere fancy with Daddy or something. Putting on her mascara, or clasping her earrings on, her hair all done up, standing before her bureau. She had no idea how beautiful she really was. And Daddy was the happiest guy I've ever met, you'd never catch him without a smile on his face. He took photographs of everything he could. He loved the idea of memories that lasted forever; precious moments that couldn't be forgotten. I really loved how he did that. the house was covered in pictures, and i'd never trade a single one of them for anything.

I prayed for them every night, and with every shooting star I saw, I wished that they were happy with their home in heaven, but still my mind couldn't help but wander, and wish that they were back here, so things could be the way they used to. I'll never stop missing them.

I broke from my daze and looked up to see the almost whole gang there, sitting all around the table, laughing at something Soda had said. I felt like the luckiest girl in the world, to have so many people that love and care about me so much.

Then the door swings opens, and Two-Bit barges in, with Johnny standing by his side, laughing his head off.
"How's it hangin'?" Two-Bit shouts.
We all greet them and they sit down as well.

Johnny and I used to be pretty close before my folks died. We used to go to the lake together, and sometimes he'd bring me to the Dingo. Everyone sort of drifted apart from each other after what happened, but we're all gettin' better.

Two-Bit on the other hand is all over the place when it comes to me. One minute he's as overprotective as Darry, and the next he's letting me try a sip of his beer, as he dances on the kitchen table! By the way, beer is not good. But hey, I'm not complaining. Who doesn't love good 'ol Two-Bit?

We all chat for a while, and laugh at all of the guys' silly remarks. Breakfast is finally over, I run to my room, and I pick out my outfit. A pale pink dress, a white pullover, and my white mary janes.

I walk out, and see the whole gang spread out in the living room, watching The Ronettes preforming live on TV.
"Come here!" Soda shouts at me, with a smile on his face.
I sit down between Soda and Pony on the love seat. I lay my head down on the side of his arm.

Darry and Ponyboy changed after mom and dad died. They got really overprotective, but Soda, he's always been this way with me. Sweet and caring. Just like Mama.

And then I thought that they weren't all gone. I still had Daddy's smile to look at on Sodapop, and Mama's stubbornness too show through Darry. Everything was gonna be alright.

~~