one

Seeing your soulmate before you're eighteen isn't unheard of, just not as common as seeing them later in life. What's slightly more common is seeing them in your dreams, and even then it's still rare to experience. Sometimes, which everybody hoped and prayed wouldn't happen, you'll never see your soulmate in your dreams, so you'll never know if you've met them or not. And sometimes, the person you see in your dreams may not actually be your soulmate, and a glitch the universe made.

So when Ryujin fell under one of the more unexpected categories, she was surprised to say the least.

It happened during exam season, when she was stressing herself out over studying. When she wasn't at school, she was home, studying as much as possible. Her grades hadn't been the best, and her parents said that it was because she was too busy hanging out with her friends. And if she wanted to get into her target university in a couple of years, she really needed to study as hard as she could to pass the entrance exam.

"You literally have another year before you even get to college," her friend, Yeji pointed out. "Stop stressing yourself out so much!"

"I knooooow," Ryujin sighed, falling backwards on her bed. Her eyes immediately closed once her head hit the pillow, but she fought to stay awake.

"Then slow down on all that studying. Come hang with us tomorrow, it's a Saturday."

"My parents--"

"They suck. Jisu and I will swing by there on our way to meet the Lee sisters at a cafe nearby. Sounds good?"

"Mmhm," Ryujin hummed. She could already feel her eyelids getting heavy.

"Awesome. Now, go get some sleep, alright?"

Ryujin nodded, momentarily forgetting that she was on the phone. "Oh, yeah, sure. Goodnight, unnie..."

She fell asleep before she could even hear Yeji's response.

That night she dreamed the first time in a while. At first it was completely dark, and Ryujin had no idea where she was. Her room? A basement? School? She couldn't see any details, just pitch black nothingness.

"Ryujin..." She heard a sing-song voice call out.

She whirled around to be met with sudden brightness, as if someone was shining a very bright flashlight her way. Ryujin squinted her eyes, trying to get used to the brightness so she could see whoever called her name.

It took a couple of blinks, but she was soon able to make out who the person was.

It was a complete stranger, Ryujin was sure. She probably would have remembered such a pretty face smiling back at her, as if Ryujin was her everything and more.

The girl's eyes were big and round, and she was giving Ryujin a huge, toothy grin. Ryujin couldn't help but smile back like any normal person would have done.

The light was still there, shining behind the unknown girl, like she was an angel. Ryujin expected to hear singing or wedding bells or something.

They just stood there, smiling and staring at each other. Until everything went black all of a sudden, and Ryujin sat up quickly in her bed.

It was the middle of the night, and she still had her phone beside her in her bed. She sat there for a moment, trying to collect herself.

"Sorry, unnie," she mumbled, charging her phone up on the nightstand beside her bed. She did remember sleeping while Yeji had called her.

It took her another while before her eyes bulged out of her head, all traces of sleep gone.

"I saw my soulmate," she whispered to herself.

i got this idea while reading a story where a guy compared his future boyfriend to the sun, and i love soulmate aus lmao