Chapter 1

Melissa stared at Paul from a few desks away where Ted was talking her ear off about some girl at Beanies.

"I'm sorry, what were you saying?" She asked, turning to Ted who suddenly stopped talking.

"You weren't listening?" He asked, quite offended actually. "Never mind." Ted huffed, turning to the guy at the desk to his left and beginning to talk to him.

Melissa rolled her eyes, standing up out of her seat and grabbing her clipboard. She gripped it tightly against her chest, her knuckles turning white as she squeezed it out of nerves.

She had always had a crush on Paul, but now she was falling for him. The way he stared at his computer, his brown hair shining under the bright, flickering lights of the office.

She began walking towards him, her heart racing as she got closer. Soon, she was just a few steps away.

"Hi, Paul."

He turned around, smiling his bright smile at her.

"Hey, Melissa."

Her heart skipped a beat, the words she prepared to say escaping her mind.

"Uh-" She paused, trying to think of the words again as her cheeks turned red and her lips parted slightly.

"We-Were you gonna sign up for the company softball league?" Melissa put on her best smile in attempt to convince him to join, but also to hopefully woo him.

"No." Paul said abruptly, shaking his head and smiling awkwardly.

"Oh." Melissa replied, her smile dropping. She was quiet for a moment before continuing, "Well, it might be fun."

"Yeah, I don't want to though." Paul said, shaking his head again.

"Okay...Well, Mr. Davidson wants those reports in by the end of the day." Melissa said quietly before running off to go hide in the break room.

"Will do!"