Chapter thirty-five

Start from the beginning

I didn't need anyone to tell me that Peter was somehow referring to us.

"I think he is referring to you and himself." Adam whispered in my ear.

I rolled my eyes.

"Then in that case, you let the person be. At least you apologised and you know deep down that you're indeed sorry. It's now left to the person to forgive. It's not in your place to force the person to forgive you." Mrs Christian answered the question.

"Okay ma, my final question. In a situation whereby someone lies to my friend about something I didn't do and my friends swallows the lies and then get upset with me. In your opinion ma, wouldn't it only be reasonable for my friend to talk to me about it to confirm if I did whatever he or she was told or not before getting upset with me?"

"Yes mister Peter. Why are you asking these questions anyway? Did you offend someone or did anybody offend you?" Mrs Christian asked him.

Yes he did. He offended me. More like hurt me.

Peter snorted in a chuckle as he sat down. "I'm just asking ma."

"All right, if you say so. Any other question?" Mrs Christian asked.

Just then, an offensive smell hit my nose hard like a blow. It smelled of rotten egg. I squeezed my face in a grimace. I looked around to see if I was the only one smelling it and apparently, I wasn't. Some people were already covering their nose with their hands or uniform collar, while some were fanning their nose with their hands.

"What's that smell?" Mrs Christian grimaced. "Who farted?"

A loud mumble erupted in the class.

"I asked who farted!" She reiterated angrily.

People started to whisper to their seat partners, increasing the noise. The person who farted knew himself or herself, but would never own up.

"Argh! You children are disgusting! I'm out of here." She walked out of the class angrily, ignoring our calls and pleas. Had she forgotten she just taught us on forgiveness?

***

As Adam and I were preparing to go to the canteen, Peter walked up to me, tucking in his already tucked in shirt.

"Hey Daniella." He called, fumbling with his collar. Was he nervous?

I didn't say anything but stare at his face. It was then I realised how much I had missed the handsome guy standing right in front of me. Boy was Peter adorable!

"Okay Daniella, I'd be waiting for you outside." Adam said, walking away. "And Peter good luck!"

Peter smiled at him and then looked back at me.

"That video—" Peter started when I cut him short as he was about to touch me.

"Don't touch me! Just say whatever you have to say."

There was a brief and tense silence between the both of us.

"Is that how much the video hurt you Daniella?" He finally asked.

How dare he ask me that question? How dare he! Of course it did hurt me jerk! If Peter had not spoken, I would have said that.

"The kiss was just a game, I swear. Prudence dared me to kiss her for a minute and the penalty for not doing it was to drink a full cup of unclean bitter leaf water. I couldn't do that, so I had no other option than to do the dare. I'm sorry. I'm really sorry. Please forgive me."

"Wow! Nice one! Please think again if you think I'm going to believe that!"

"I'm not—"

"I can't even believe you would look at me and still lie to my face." I cut Peter off. "You disgust the hell out of me. To even think you came here to admit what you did and apologise!" I shook my head and was about to brush past him, but he stood in my way and held me back.