Chapter 12: Uncertain Attraction

Violette stared at the ceiling, waiting for sleep to come. The dark room she was in gave her shivers down her spine. The sound of the rain was the only thing that comforted her in this gloomy lonely night. 

She pulled up the covers over her body. She couldn't sleep. Her brain kept replaying what Lucián said to her before he went to sleep. You're quite strange. I've never met someone like you before. I still can't comprehend why we get along fairly well. The way he said it seemed sincere. It was as if she mattered to him.

Why was she suddenly affected by his words? She let out a frustrated groan and then, slapped her forehead. It wasn't even a love confession and yet, it affected her greatly. Maybe it is because of the tone of his voice.

"I wouldn't want to fall in love with some dude from the past. I don't do old guys," she muttered before letting out a laugh. She froze upon remembering her precious dog, Tala. Oh no. How could I have forgotten about him? Stupid Lucian.

After tossing and turning on her bed multiple times, she decided to get some fresh air but unfortunately, it was raining outside. She got off the bed and walked towards the window, scowling. She sighed and sat down her bed while watching the droplets on the window fall. It was rather entertaining, especially when she had to guess which raindrop will fall down first.

She averted her gaze upon hearing footsteps coming towards the door. She heard a knock and a familiar voice call her name. "Violette? Are you still awake?"

"Yeah. I'm having trouble falling asleep," she replied as she stood up and walked towards the door. She stood in front of it for a moment in hesitation. "Violette?"

She grabbed the doorknob and twisted it open, revealing a sleepy Lucian. He yawned before saying, "I have the same problem." She raised an eyebrow at him, questioning his reason for coming to her.

"Why are you even here?" she asked while crossing her arms over her chest. He sheepishly smiled and scratched the back of his neck before saying, "I have this problem. I would usually sleep while cuddling my...teddybear..."

"I-I have a hard time catching sleep if I don't cuddle it," he added while averting his gaze as his cheeks turned bright res in embarrassment. She blinked her eyes and said, "W-What? What are you implying?"

She couldn't believe what she was hearing. She saw him as this arrogant tough guy who values his ego too much. A teddybear? Of all things he could cuddle. But it's kinda cute. Hehehe. A grin appeared on her face as a thought came into her mind.

"Do you want to cuddle with me instead?" she blurted out. It came out like she was implying something else. Something inappropriate. His face turned even more red upon hearing her statement. He shook his head and said, "I would rather cuddle with a cactus than get an inch close to you."

"Then, why are you here?" she asked with a teasing smile. His cheeks turned bright red as he muttered, "If anyone finds out about this, my reputation would be ruined." He avoided looking straight into her eyes as he continued talking. "May I borrow a pillow?"

Violette stared at Lucián with a rather disappointed and surprised face. She never expected him to say that. She blushed in shame upon realizing how green her mind had been. She slapped her cheeks and said, "A pillow?!"

He gave her a puzzled look as he scratched his head. Upon noticing the expression on her face, he smirked once he realized what happened. "Oh. Where you expecting something else? Hmm. I wonder what that could be? Care to tell this handsome being?"

She rolled her eyes and scoffed, "Handsome? Give me a break. I've already seen guys that are far more attractive than you." All of sudden, he started unbuttoning his shirt with a smirk still implanted on his face. She gasped and turned bright red.