Chapter 2: Chasing Trouble

Alexandro paced back and forth around the room as he tried to think if this was a good idea. He didn't want to get involved in such a thing like witchcraft but if this was the only easy way to make Lucián pay, so be it.

I shouldn't be trusting this old man. An Indio. He glanced worryingly at the old man who was scanning through a book to find the ingredients needed. He glanced around his nipa hut or what is common called as bahay kubo to find it filled with peculiar ornaments and amulets. His tiny house was in the middle of the rice fields. He was usually known as a farmer from what he heard but he was secretly doing these peculiar acts for profit.

Is this unjust? To be involved in some kind of demonic witchcraft? My parents always told me not to talk to people like this man

Is this unjust? To be involved in some kind of demonic witchcraft? My parents always told me not to talk to people like this man. They are evil and against Christ.  He've always wondered why to this day, they still practice such evil doings like this.

He still have doubts regarding this whole shenanigans. I am paying him a large amount of money but I am not certain if it will be worth it. He stared at the man with suspicion in his eyes. He felt so uncomfortable with being in a place as small as this.

Even though his mother is a Filipina, she wasn't born to a poor family. He hasn't seen his mother for ten years. It has been a long time and her whereabouts are unknown to him. He never really liked interacting with people such as them. Poor. Weak. And yet, contented.

"¿Estás seguro de que esto funcionará? No me estás mintiendo, ¿verdad? (Are you certain this will work? You are not lying to me, aren't you?)" he said to the old man who nodded his head said, "Por supuesto señor. Funcionará. (Of course, sir. It will work.)"

He couldn't but at cringe at the old man's accent. He wasn't able to hide his displeased expression. The old man didn't pay any attention towards it due to the fact that he was used to it. Alexandro watched as the man placed the book that he was holding on the table and started pulling out herbs and some sort of odd colored liquids stored in jars.

The man placed all of these things on the wooden table in front of him. He opened the book that he previously placed on the table and began to speak in an peculiar language while he started mixing herbs and the liquids in a separate container. Alexandro stared at him in shock, not believing the stupidity that he was doing.

What is wrong with me? This old man could have been fooling me all this time. He is not making any sense. Alexandro stared at the man with suspicion. The man was smirking as he did continued to make some sort of potion.

"Señor, hindi ka dapat agad-agad nagtitiwala sapagkat ang mga taong dukha na katulad ko ay walang inaasam kundi ang magkaroon ng salapi. Madali kang maniwala sa mga taong hindi mo naman kilala. Sobrang katangahan nga talaga ang mayroon sa isang taong naghihiganti. Masyado kang nakakaawa,"the old man said while avoiding Alexandro's eyes.

Alexandro's eyebrows furrowed in confusion, not being able to decipher what the old man said. He never understood a word he said and he fear that he was speaking such insulting words. Once the old man finished mixing the ingredients, he placed the mixture inside a jar, sealing it with a lid afterwards.